Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T Turbo Rebuild Kit?

Does anyone know were I can source a rebuild kit for the turbo on my Brat?  I'm seeing some stuff on ebay but I cant make any sense out of it.

If I could get a link or definite answer on whether or not it can be rebuilt, that'd be great.

I couldn't find anything from searching, other than the type of turbo.

Thanks, again...

Search for one for a ea82t which is a vf-2, vf-3, or vf-4 from what i have read. Your 84 would have a ea82 turbo already on it since a lot of the 83's burnt up the vf-1 oil cooled ones and dealers installed ea82 turbos. I had a early 83 ea81t wagon that didn't have any of the hook ups for the coolant so i had to plumb them in (T off the heater hose and the pipe going to the head).

Not sure if the really early VFs can be rebuilt, but if they can, good luck finding a rebuild kit!  A better bet would be, like turbosubarubrat suggested, would be to source a functional turbo from a later model.  I would stay away from the VF11 or TD04s unless you plan on opening up the exhaust, those are much more common these days, but are:

• Too big for the EA81 engine, and,
  • require modification to the up and downpipes.

Can you be a bit more specific?  I know the VF3 and VF4 are both in the RHB5 family, but are all RHB5s created equal?

If you haven't installed your kit, how can you be confident that it will work on the VF3/4?

Not trying to bash you or anything, just want some first hand knowledge about it, since I see these kits around from time to time.

Can you be a bit more specific?  I know the VF3 and VF4 are both in the RHB5 family, but are all RHB5s created equal?

If you haven't installed your kit, how can you be confident that it will work on the VF3/4?

Not trying to bash you or anything, just want some first hand knowledge about it, since I see these kits around from time to time.

Non rotating rebuild parts are the same for all the RHB5s  except some non sube ones have wider bearings.

I think my kit came w/both widths.

• 1 month later...

I've seen one pre 90 Subaru in the junk yard in the past 4 years.

We are a bit spoiled here in the Pacific Northwest as far as old Subaru parts go.

After looking for the mythical rebuild kit and not finding it I just bought a 'new' turbo. It was one of the first things we did after I bought my wagon, pull the turbo and inspect it. Mine was cracked to hell and the whirly bits were grindy with a ton of play. These guys: http://www.mttechsuba.com/used-subaru-parts/ are a really good source for parts. I bought my turbo from them - I don't know what the going rate is but I paid $75 for a non-cracked turbo with free-spinning whirly bits.

Two of the holes on the downpipe needed to be slotted slightly and the... elbow with the diamond shaped base... I don't know what it's called... that was on the 'new' turbo was too big, so we used the one off the old turbo.

'new" turbo:

2015-09-07%2009.27.21_zpsgbzxmiwi.jpg

old turbo:

2015-09-01%2013.57.23_zpsyhnoiaik.jpg

We are a bit spoiled here in the Pacific Northwest as far as old Subaru parts go.

After looking for the mythical rebuild kit and not finding it I just bought a 'new' turbo.

Nothing mythical about them.

You could not have looked very hard.

Must be 25 of them on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xrhb5+kit.TRS0&_nkw=rhb5+kit&_sacat=0

Nothing mythical about them.

You could not have looked very hard.

Must be 25 of them on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xrhb5+kit.TRS0&_nkw=rhb5+kit&_sacat=0

You are correct. It would be more accurate for me to say that I did find many rebuild kits, but because of the lack of information on rebuilding them, mostly whether or not it was possible (and the large cracks in my turbo), I opted to just buy a functional one. I used the word mythical because I couldn't ever find the post "I successfully rebuilt the turbo from my '80s Subaru with such-and-such rebuild kit", so until you, I, or someone else does it... well, you know what they say: pix or it didn't happen ;).

• Like 1