Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Subaru Impreza coolant bubbling

Hey everyone my in-laws have a 2004 subaru impreza with 143000 miles on it. Recently while in traffic the car started to overheat and dumped some coolant they were able to pull off before it red lined. When they took it to there mechanic they diagnosed it as a clogged radiator. I took a look at it and I noticed the coolant in the overflow was bubbling and white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. They had the head gaskets replaced in 2013. I am curious to know what you all think.

Thanks HAS

sounds like a bad headgasket again, maybe due to a clogged radiator - or not. Since there's white vapor out the exhaust (and I bet is smells sweetish - like toasted marshmallows) I bet a cooling system pressure test would fail.

the recent overheat event could also be due to a bad or failing fan - but I'd bet the shop already considered that.

They had the head gaskets replaced in 2013

I think that a lot of head gasket replacements fail.  The replacement is very dependent on the skill of the shop.  It doesn't matter if it's been done by a dealership or not.

I have an 02 which had the HG replaced 4 years ago.  I won't be surprised if it starts leaking any time now.

That is what I was thinking. I have checked the head gaskets and tgey seem to be leaking externality. They had the radiator replaced and hasn't overheated since but it's still bubbling with the white smoke. They are upset because the mechanic charged 600 and they still have problems

If the engine was extensively overheated in 2013 or now that's important to know and could mean the engine isn't even worth keeping.  

1.  system needs to be full

2.  system needs no air in it (properly burped)

3.  no leaks

4.  fans need to be coming on

5.  radiator cap and thermostat need to be operating properly.

but yes it sounds very much like a bad headgasket.   

A.  should only use OEM or Fel Pro headgaskets, others routinely fail early  (the best gasket for that engine is the EJ25 turbo headgasket but a lot of shops don't know you can use it on that engine)
B.  the heads need resurfaced

Mechanic might need assessed - at most radiator replacement should cost $300 - $150 for radiator and $150 for labor and that's even kind of expensive for what's an easy job.

Friend just had a local independent subaru shop install a brand new radiator in his forester for $130.  $60 brand new radiator and $60 labor.

As far as I know this the first time it had ever been overheated. I'll double check on the radiator being filled and the fans but I'm pretty sure they were running last I checked. I was shocked when they told how much it cost to get the radiator replaced though they did have the thermostat replaced as well with OEM according to the shop. I know the subaru dealership did the head gaskets around 19000 miles ago. Something to not they said it only would start to overheat in traffic. I am almost positive it's the heads but I'll take another look.

Thanks

HAS