Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 filter bypass permanent fix

With two 93 loyale wagons (one since 94) I'm tired of replacing oil pumps because the filter bypass ball has been pushed out (Ok, it's only the third time since I've had the cars-- I guess I'm just annoyed that such a stupid design decision ruins an otherwise perfectly good pump).   Thinking of replacing the pressed-in sleeve with a screw-in ring to hold the ball.   My reasoning is that if the engine is turned backward for some reason I'd rather bust out the anti-drainback valve in the easily-replaceable filter than break the pump.   Any thoughts on this?   Bad idea?   Good idea?   Something I've overlooked?      If it works I'll post pictures.

• Like 2

I doubt it would ever happen with an automatic transmission.

With a manual, if it's parked in the wrong gear (ie reverse on a forward

slope, or a forward gear on a reverse slope), and the driver removes

the e-brake  before pressing the clutch to start it, then the car may

roll a bit turning the engine backward.  If there's an anti-drainback

valve in the filter, then the backward-turning oil pump will force the

ball right out of the filter bypass check valve.   

Unfortunately not every driver pays attention to minute details such

as, "which way does the car want to roll" when they park it.   *sigh*

Another way is using the clutch to hold the car on the hill and stalling it.
("But why??!!   You have "hill holder!")

Edited by Treblemaker

• 2 weeks later...

Still experimenting.  Meanwhile, I pulled an oil pump off an automatic at the pick-n-pull, so the car's back on the road for now.   MR_Loyale, I agree, it's pretty weak design.  Besides which, good filters already have an internal bypass (Purolator gold, for example).   I have never seen another car with a filter bypass built in to the engine.   Maybe the answer is to just plug the extra hole in the pump and be done.

I doubt it would ever happen with an automatic transmission.

With a manual, if it's parked in the wrong gear (ie reverse on a forward slope, or a forward gear on a reverse slope), and the driver removes the e-brake  before pressing the clutch to start it, then the car may roll a bit turning the engine backward.  If there's an anti-drainback valve in the filter, then the backward-turning oil pump will force the ball right out of the filter bypass check valve.   ...

As I live in the extremely mountainous Honduras, and with age and usage, the front parking Brake became weak and was not enough to hold the car, even with the manual transmission always on first gear; so I try to park my cars with the steering turned in order to let the front tires to touch the Sidewalk; but sometimes there's no sidewalk and the parking spot is pretty steep. That is the Reason why I successfully retrofitted a stronger, rear parking brake on my subie, years ago.

However, prior to retrofit that, my "BumbleBeast" subaru rolled backwards being on first gear by itself, several times, slowly... once it even hit a parked luxury sedan that was brand new then, three meters away from where I parked, and my Subie was engaged in first gear as usual, and with parking brake set... the hill was pretty steep and no sidewalk, as we were in a rural area.

So I guess that I've been Lucky with my EA82. I always use a Purolator oil filter that is a little smaller than the one for the EA82, but all the other specs are identical.

Thank you for sharing this information, Kind Regards.