Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help Me Choose Wheels...

First post here, hello!. I've been reading here for a few weeks. I have a 1986 GL Hatchback I'm fixing up for a commuter. So far I've replaced front axles, and the clutch cable.

I have one bent wheel, so I'm looking for another set and have narrowed it down to three sets available here in Fairbanks.

Chrome Mazda B2200 14" that I would drill, and have to buy tires for. They're asking $120, no clue if they're straight.

Alloy H style Subaru wheels (probably straight) with tires, haven't seen the tires but they claim they're in good shape, they're asking $100

Steel white spoke Subaru wheels (no clue if they're straight) with good looking studded tires, they're asking $150 for 5 wheels (4 matching studded tires, one street tire)

I would like to ruin bigger tires some day, and 13" limits this. But for now I just need straight rims.

What do you guys think?

post-64827-0-03762800-1477958721_thumb.jpg

post-64827-0-64754600-1477958734_thumb.jpg

post-64827-0-59600800-1477958750_thumb.jpg

I'd be torn between the alloy H and the white spoke wagons. The H alloys are very unique but you can't beat the rugged iconic look of the wagon wheels. The alloys are hard to come by they may never cross your path if you decide to change

The alloys are nice, I think they look a little weird though...

For street use I would go the 6-lug option. The handling with 13" wheels is just dreadful compared to 14" imho.

That said, $120 for a set of used steel wheels is pretty steep - I guess location is a part of it, but even so that's expensive. I would have thought $40-50 would be a more realistic price.

Although there is already a posted link to an excellent article, about changing the hubs from four to six Bolts; in this Other article, you can find additional information that could be valuable if you decide to go thru that route: