Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Leggie Outback, massive oil leak

My OBW just started leaking oil badly. I had no leaks, then a bad leak developed quickly. I crawled underneath to see it is not leaking from the drain plug, or from the oil filter. The oil pan cover seems okay. It seems to be from the front of the engine. It is too cold and windy today to take off the cam covers, but suspect the leak is from there. Maybe the oil seal?? I will pull the cam covers off tomorrow to check. Are there any other suspicious places to look for a massive oil leak??  Thanx!!

Edited by Rooster2

A friend who is a good mechanic fixed my Subie. Massive oil leak was from a bad cam seal on driver's side. Luckily, I got the motor shut off in time, before I ran out of oil. Engine sounds great with no knocking noise, so I don't think there is any engine damage.

Thanks to all who said it was either a crank or cam seal. You guys know your stuff. That helped to know what to look for. Thanks again !!