Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Loyale Starting Issue

I recently bought a 1993 Subaru Loyale. It does start but only if I pour gas down the throttle body and I'm pressing the gas pedal to the ground, as soon as I let off the pedal or try to even out the rpm's the car immediately dies. If I do not pour gas down the throttle body it cranks but does not turn over. The person I bought the car off of said he switched the throttle body with an automatic version of the Loyale and then switched it back and has this issue(the car has sat for 2-3 years now). I have switched the computer and the throttle body. I also checked the fuses and they are all fine.   

Auto vs manual transmission?  No difference in engine. 

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.  Could be the 2 fuel lines are swapped, since they would have to have been removed for swapping.

also the automatic Subaru had an issue to where it wouldntt go over 25 MPH, it eventually stopped starting the owner told me. Thats when he switched over the throttle body and it didnt ffix the automatic subaru problem so he switched the throttle body back and the manual Subaru (the one i bought) didnt run affter the switch. It ran before the owner switched the throttle bodies

If it 's not getting fuel can you work your way back through the fuel system and check for blockage or failed components ?

I could tomorrow the car is still sitting at the owner place. I am hopefully getting towed to my place tomorrow. I have been reading around and saw that another person had a similar issue and he replaced the fuel pump and he said it ran fine afterwards. Do you think that could be the problem?

Could very well be the fuel pump.  It's not uncommon for pumps to wear out on these older cars.  I had to replace one on my 90 Loyale .  Not a big job as I recall.

Sometimes if you rap on the pump with something like a screwdriver handle it will get the pump going again.  If that is the case then definitely the pump needs to be replaced.

Edited by Dee2

Sounds very much like a fuel pump, although given the history, it could be lots of stuff, now.

Plug the green connectors together under the hood, turn on the ignition, but don't start it.  Listen for the fuel pump to cycle on and off.  Check that the fuel pump solenoid is working.  This is really easy to do, should be the first step. 

Don't forget to unplug the connectors when you are done.

Sounds very much like a fuel pump, although given the history, it could be lots of stuff, now.

Plug the green connectors together under the hood, turn on the ignition, but don't start it.  Listen for the fuel pump to cycle on and off.  Check that the fuel pump solenoid is working.  This is really easy to do, should be the first step. 

I will try this today. I will report back after i do that.

Could very well be the fuel pump.  It's not uncommon for pumps to wear out on these older cars.  I had to replace one on my 90 Loyale .  Not a big job as I recall.

Sometimes if you rap on the pump with something like a screwdriver handle it will get the pump going again.  If that is the case then definitely the pump needs to be replaced.

I will try tapping the fuel pump with something to see if it makes a difference.

If the car runs for more than 10 seconds after starting the pump is operating and there is nothing to be gained from tapping it.

Pump could be weak though.A pressure test w/be helpful.Should be about 21 psi,

The car does not run for more than 10 seconds. I would say maybe 2-4 seconds.

Personally by reading your first post in this thread...

1. I think either the mass air flow is disconnected and/or not working properly.

2. The intake tube is not connected to the port/carb.

I once tried starting with out it connected after doing some work and it turned over started and immediately died unless I completely connected everything back together..

Other than changing out the brain and throttle body is a whole nother story..

Just My✌cents from experience

Edited by Len Dawg

I replaced the fuel pump did a full tune up and still the same issue do you think it could be out of time? It seems to want to start

Personally by reading your first post in this thread...

1. I think either the mass air flow is disconnected and/or not working properly.

2. The intake tube is not connected to the port/carb.

I once tried starting with out it connected after doing some work and it turned over started and immediately died unless I completely connected everything back together..

Other than changing out the brain and throttle body is a whole nother story..

Just My✌cents from experience

I put everything completely together and it still didnt start. i replaced the throttle body, fuel filter, fuel pump, and the computer. Still is doing the same thing.

If it runs when you put gas down the throttle body and it doesn't run when you don't, then the fuel is blocked somewhere in between the fuel pump and the throttle body.  You will need to start backtracking from one end to find the blockage.

Unhook the fuel line from the discharge end of the fuel filter and, with some help,  see if you get flow when trying to start the car.

If you do or don't get fuel flow you know which direction to pursue.

If it runs when you put gas down the throttle body and it doesn't run when you don't, then the fuel is blocked somewhere in between the fuel pump and the throttle body.  You will need to start backtracking from one end to find the blockage.

Unhook the fuel line from the discharge end of the fuel filter and, with some help,  see if you get flow when trying to start the car.

If you do or don't get fuel flow you know which direction to pursue.

both of the fuel lines are pressurized when i pulled them off. They sprayed me all over. The lines get gas all the way to the throttle body. Once the fuel gets to the throttle body I am not sure what happens but somehow its not letting fuel somewhere in the throttle body?

Edited by RolyPoly

So it sounds like the fuel pump is not the problem, if you have pressure to the throttle body.

Next thing to check, after checking the fuel lines are connected properly, is the fuel injector.

Is it getting a signal to open?

If not, that opens up a new area of trouble shooting, and it is one where I am lucky enough to have no expertise.

Sounds like you isolated the problem.  Something must not be hooked up right.  Did you confirm DaveT's suggestion about the two lines ?

The fuel lines  to the throttle body were switched ahhaha. The guy i bought it from said he had it on the right way so i assumed he was correct because he was a mechanic ffor 65 years. I switched the lines over and it sttarts right upp :) The engine doesnt have a super loud tick and it runs nice. I just need to get the brake on the right side unstuck, the wheel rolls but only if im giving it gas it wont roll down a slope by itselff

Edited by RolyPoly
  • Like 1

So it sounds like the fuel pump is not the problem, if you have pressure to the throttle body.

Next thing to check, after checking the fuel lines are connected properly, is the fuel injector.

Is it getting a signal to open?

If not, that opens up a new area of trouble shooting, and it is one where I am lucky enough to have no expertise.

The car is fixed thank you though. I had the fuel lines switched.

• Like 1