Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stainless Steel Brake Lines 88GL

Hey ya'll wanting to replace my old brake lines and I'd like to go with a little upgrade so I'm thinking about stainless steel lines. Can anyone point me to a site? 88GL wagon.....everywhere I am looking right now is only offering rubber lines. Thanks.

Now, when you say "lines", I assume you actually mean "hoses", right? Stainless is not a good material for making hard lines with.

I looked up Centric braided stainless hoses for a '02-'07 Impreza (non-STi) on RockAuto, and then punched the part number into Amazon and ordered them up. They come with crush washers, banjo bolts, and retainer clip for the strut bracket.

If you have rear discs, you can use the rear hoses for the same application. The included banjo bolt threads right into the caliper, since the hose now comes off the caliper at an angle, you'll have to route it around behind the shock, but you can still clip it into the second mount on the trailing arm. This replaces 2 separate hoses with a short section of hard line in between them.

36122143606_1a935265a1_k.jpg2017-07-25_02-22-30 by Numbchux, on Flickr

If you have drums, swap to discs. IMO, there's no point in upgrading the hoses....

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 2

I used WRX lines on the front of my 87GL. While doing a search to find out what years I used (98-02 sticks in my mind,) I stumbled across these:

https://www.carid.com/subaru-loyale-performance-brake-lines/

I don't recall seeing these when I did my swap a few years ago. 

Dan

Am I missing something? The only braided hoses I see on there are Universal fit.....

Am I missing something? The only braided hoses I see on there are Universal fit.....

About half way down there were several different lengths of Wildwoods with M10 banjo fittings, and several choices of the inlet end. Neat selection of adaptors and whatnot as well. 

Dan

About half way down there were several different lengths of Wildwoods with M10 banjo fittings, and several choices of the inlet end. Neat selection of adaptors and whatnot as well. 

Dan

Fair enough, I still think for $50 a pair, I'll go with the Centric PowerStop ones. 

• Like 1

I had a set made up at my local industrial supply store. Any place that deals with hydraulics will likely have the parts to put a set together. I paid $20 per hose which are stainless and custom length. I could have gotten then cheaper (about $10 a hose) at another place down at road, but I went to the first place I found. Outfits like this can also make custom power steering lines too.

Those lines look good from the 02 Impreza and much cheaper then the ones I had made for 100 bucks. 

Any idea how much they'd have to be lengthened with a lift? I guess 4" for a 4" lift but my next question is is there somewhere that lists the line stats so I can find a part number for one with similar fittings thats 4" longer? and on the right side of the fitting!

• 1 year later...