Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More torque from my ea81T

Hello Everyone :)

I have an ea81T in an 1982 Leone rally car. The car has enough power above 3500 rpm but when below it is shocking!!!!

This causes problems in confidence for me when throwing the car into a side in 4th or 5th gear.

Currently the engine has forged pistons, intercooler, oil cooler, fuel injection, 120psi fuel pump, 3" straight exhaust, new plugs, new leads, BOV, Cold air intake, 6000 rpm rev limiter(controllable).

Current problems are loose tappets (spelling???), possibly too much fuel at low revs???, exhaust leaks, standard leone turbo running 14-18psi, No idea how to tune engine???, gearbox and rear diff i need on replacement.

Anyone with any comments to help with low down torgue please let me know!!!

Also I'm unsure if the cam is standard or how to test it. Without knowing the cam how can I set the tappet clearances?

I'm not a mechanic so use everyday language cheers :)

The tappets (called lifters by most here) are hydraulic and do not need adjustment.

You could go with a smaller turbo that spools at a lower RPM. But Turbo engines are not designed to run at low RPM's. It takes getting used to, but that's how you have to drive it. 3500 or higher if you want the power.....

Is this engine original? What country are you in? We didn't get EA81T's here in 82... and when we did get them it was with Automatic tranny's....

5th gear?? Is this an EA82 4WD tranny, or a 2WD car?

GD

Your car is suffering what is commonly labeled as Turbo Lag. It sounds like it already has a manual tranny in it, so the only thing to be done there is maybe put a Limited Slip Diff in (make sure the tranny ratio matches, most LSD's are 3.7 but can be changed to 3.9) The lifters are hydraulic and shouldnt be adjusted, unless the heads were rebuilt. Its most likely the oil pump that needs to be resealed, which is quite easy and cheap. If you could share more detailed info on the upgrades, I personaly would love to know. And welcome to the board :clap:

I could get some pics if you are interested.

If I got a new cam, what would I get? This is an old engine now, parts are getting difficult to find. Or could I get one modified?

Smaller exhaust would probably a good idea. More back pressure helps with torque, I think?

I am unsure of many of the modifications done to the car as I have only owned it for about a year. I don't think it is an original motor, was told when I brought the car that it was originally a carby motor but unsure if that is true. 5 speed box is from an ea82, it is 4wd with lo and hi ratio.

I live in New Zealand and are currently competing in the Mainland Rally series against wrx's, evo's, grs's, gtir's, gtx's. Check series info out at http://www.rallynz.org.nz. Of course these cars are a bit quicker than me but on a good day I can bet grs's, gtx's and on a really good day gtir's.

Turbone, please explain "Its most likely the oil pump that needs to be resealed, which is quite easy and cheap", why oil pump?

The oil pump has O-rings which help keep the pressure constant. When they get old, they shrink. Then the pressure drops and the lifters do not get enough oil. Thats why they tick. Here in the States a kit cost $8-$12US. Altho removing the pump can be a little tricky sometimes, its fairly straight forward. Do you have a Factory Service Manual? I think the cheaper ones will tell you how to remove the pump too.

Smaller exhaust for a turbo is not good. Its needs to flow, back pressure is not needed. Here is a interesting site that will give you a little more info on Turbo's.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

Thanks for that info.

I will take some pics tonight and post them tomoro. Its not much to look at but goes good!

I am wanting to replace the turbo with somthing newer. Am I best to get a subaru turbo again or any turbo? What should I look for to produce more pressure, quicker down low?

I'm taking a guess here: you already have custom headers feeding the turbo? Free flowing beyond the turbo is good, but too large of headers will make the turbo lag more, while hitting harder at high rpm's. For low end grunt on a turbo keep the collection pipes smaller, this is a steal from peter to pay paul situation, you want high end or low end power???

the 3.90 Hi/lo 5spd trans, part time 4wd will give a greater torque curve with locked center diff=doesn't love dry asphalt, my perferred choice in any EA series car

the 3.70 hi/lo fulltime 4wd 5 spd will allow you to run on pavement with a selectable center diff lock

if you don't already have it, the EA82 Turbocharger is almost a direct bolt on except plumbing a water line. A different turbo, such as VF11, TDO 4... will require modifications to up pipe and exhaust beyond the turbo, not to mention re-plumbing intercooler...

IN SHORT: bigger turbo's = more lag and horsepower, same goes for head pipes.

ALSO: what RPM do you reach ~8 psi, then where is the peak boost at, and do you have an aftermarket rising rate fuel pressure regulator, air/fuel ratio gauge?

sounds like a beast,

I'm interested in some exhaust and engine bay pictures

-good luck

the 3.70 hi/lo fulltime 4wd 5 spd with a selectable center diff lock sounds like a great idea! Is this an easy swap? It may fit onto engine housing but what about CVs, brakes, suspension?

Q: "ALSO: what RPM do you reach ~8 psi, then where is the peak boost at, and do you have an aftermarket rising rate fuel pressure regulator, air/fuel ratio gauge?"

A: At 8psi rpm dies at bout 5500. I Normally run 14-18psi and with the rev limiter off it will pull untill 6500. Unsure of fuel pressure regulator, no air/fuel ratio or fuel pressure gauge.

Q: "sounds like a beast, I'm interested in some exhaust and engine bay pictures"

A: I will get some pics, its horrible weather round here at the moment no good for taking pics.