Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going to look at a 98 legacy wagon 5spd awd. Thoughts?

I found a guy willing to sell me his 1998 legacy wagon with 164k on the dash for $1100. I haven't seen it yet, but he said it runs and drives.

It started running rough, so he took it to auto zone and the code came back oxygen sensors. He said the rear brake line started to leak where it comes through the inside in the back and he pinched it off, so it only has front brakes at the moment. Another thing he mentioned is that the shifter is very loose and sloppy, but it does shift fine. I'm thinking worn out shift bushings.

I'm an ea subaru guy and know nothing about newer legacys. Would this be a decent buy and what advice would you give me when looking at it?

post-25305-0-47548300-1508979833_thumb.png

Edited by 87.5ea82txt

Sounds like problems if brake lines are rusting out. Honestly with that much rust it's a parts car or soon will be. Couple that with the generally undesirable EJ25D that really needs about $3k worth of work to upgrade the pistons and head gaskets..... parts car at best I would say. I don't give much more than $300 for non rusty pre-2000 models. You just can't get more than $1500 to $2000 in top condition and with enough rust to attack the brake lines.... yeah no thanks. I wouldn't take it for free at that point. 

GD

• Like 1

Not worth looking at. 

Rust - no way.  There's more where that came from.  

The running rough and oxygen sensor code may not be related.  If it's a P0420, the most common oxygen sensor code, then replacing the oxygen sensors will not fix the rough running issue like you may be thinking. 

Worst engine subaru ever made - carrier significant chance of major issues - I'll pass.   I was offered a free EJ25 a few years ago, not worth my time. 

I found a guy willing to sell me his 1998 legacy wagon with 164k on the dash for $1100Would this be a decent buy and what advice would you give me when looking at it?

It's not a legacy - it's an outback.

Legacy of that year gets the EJ22 - for reliability and practicality that's desirable - though I still wouldn't want it for the rust.  

The outback gets the 2.5 liter which is the worst engine Subaru ever made, it's not a bad engine necessarily but this one isn't worth looking at IMO.

Granted, looking at $1,000 cars is not a walk in the park particularly with school in session, winter, and tax return season coming you're basically shooting yourself in the foot.  wait til next summer to buy, expand your distance, look for older EJ22's or even a loyale, or wait. 

Also be advised depending how he "pinched it", if that comes undone in anyway you'll loose all ability to brake except for ebrake which on EJ vehicles means rear craptastic drums, not the front ebrake of the EA vehicles you're used too. 

Well, I wouldn't write off this car as a total rust bucket. Just so happens that I have a 98 OBW. It is not rusty underneath, but had the rear brake lines rust out, and started leaking when new rear struts were installed. I had new brake line spliced in, and all is well.

As idosubaru posted, a 98 with a 5 speed is probably a 2.2 motor, and does not have the head gasket problems that a 98 2.5 motor would have.

Suggest you take this car somewhere, where you can get it up on a lift, so you can inspect it underneath for rust. If rust is not bad, this car may still have some life in it.

As idosubaru posted, a 98 with a 5 speed is probably a 2.2 motor, and does not have the head gasket problems that a 98 2.5 motor would have.

look at the pictures in the add and it is an Outback which would have the less desirable EJ25.  

you're right to some extent, one rusty line isn't enough to go on really.  usually it means there's more expensive rust coming - exhaust, suspension, fuel lines, brake caliper slide pins - all *very* common failure points, but not always.