Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So after an in-depth discussion in another thread a few weeks back about 0w20 weight oil in the new FB engines. I did some more research about the 0w16 weight oil I brought up in that discussion.

The 0w16 weight oil is here in the USDM for select few 18' MY Toyota's (It was used as early as 14' in JDM on select Honda's)

The OE manufacturer for this factory filled oil is Eneos and from my research one (if not the only) company currently making 0w16 (at least here in the US)

This new weight oil is supposed to provided up to 2% better fuel economy (over 0w20)

My reason for posting this isn't to discuss if it's good or bad for engine. I'm just a automotive technician, not an engineer or engine builder. So my experience is from following what the manufactures state.

Toyota's are using this new oil, and Honda's already were in JDM. Not that I believe Subaru's are any time soon, with their recent change to 0w20 and added issues with oil consumption.

I just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention that there is indeed 0w16 oil here and from my managers last checking (earlier this week) you can not get it through NAPA, WorldPac etc. (We haven't checked Advanced Auto and the other as we don't deal with them)

We had to request it through our oil distributor, who then did some digging to find who he can get it from.

Here's a link to the Eneos 0w16 oil. You can read all of it's "benefits" and also, the test data such as Flash Point and different viscosity at given temperature.

http://www.eneos.us/products/eneos-fully-synthetic-motor-oil/eneos-0w-16/

post-50785-0-63482300-1509059777_thumb.jpg

2% isn't worth it. This is a (one of many) death spasm of the internal combustion engine for consumer level products. 

The death of the automotive service industry is nigh. Cars are headed toward appliance status. You don't call a TV repairman anymore..... within the next decade you won't call on me either. 

GM and Mercedes have already stated their intention to switch to 100% electric passenger cars by the early 2020's. 

Things like 0w16 are to get these last few years of products across the finish line and meet the tightening CAFE standards while they develop the electric cars to replace them and phase them out. You wont find these oil weights on anything but the products that will ultimately be replaced with electric motors. 

It's just one more short term solution to prolong the life of the ICE so they can buy time. It's not good for the machine or the consumer - it's been forced upon us because of legislation. 

I'll be moving to classic cars and muscle cars and other vintage and specialty stuff as the years go by. I won't be working on electric cars or hybrids. No thanks. I'll sell my commercial property and retire to my garage machine shop where I can be a fossil and hopefully my phone won't ring off the hook like it does now. I look forward to the peace and quiet.

And before someone comes along and tells me how much more efficient electric motors are..... I'm acutely aware of all of that. As a former software engineer, military generator technician, and compressor/pump technician I know very well the power of three phase electric motors, variable frequency drives, etc. I am not disputing that. I just don't like them. And it's not for any logical reasons. I just don't. I don't want one, and I sure as hell don't want some Indonesian piece of bug ridden software self-driving me around in it. The day that I can't drive my self around is the day I start walking. And if they take my non-computerized cars off the road I'll surely be in a lot better shape because it's going to be bicycle for me. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 2

no question the 2016 CAFE rules are very tight.

surprised though to read the 0w 16 is also recommended in the JDM. Kinda wonder what is in the European owners' manual for those same engines.

I have the perfect commute for an electric car but, I'm opposed to subsidizing them so, puts me in a dilemma. After any manufaturer selss 200,000 units, the subsidies start ramping down, it'll be interesting to see what happens to prices/sales when that happens.