Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Engine swap... what to replace it with?

Ok heres the deal, the heads on my current ea82 motor are cracked and cause the car to heat up, we were going to go w/ used heads and the guy said we could but the entire motor for $110, if i'm going to replace the entire motor why not ask if they have something bigger? What will fit my current 5spd d/r tranny and components, such as ac, alt, etc... ? Quick responses would be nice and oh my parents will be in the region of picking it up this weekend... Thanks in advance for you quick response and any help given

Nothing "bigger" will bolt right up to your tranny and be an easy swap and cost only 110$. I'd go with the ea-82. Clean it up and give it new seals, oil pump, water pump, timing belts and idlers while it's out. Drop it in and drive it. What kind of car do you have?

I drive an 88' Gl Wagon, i could just go with the EA82T? My motor is fuel injected, could you give me definition of MPFI and SPFI, does this include the entire motor or just the fuel injection system? Sorry, i'm only 16, still learning, thanks again, also i'm just looking for suggestions and i do have to call the guy in the next couple days...

I drive an 88' Gl Wagon, i could just go with the EA82T? My motor is fuel injected, could you give me definition of MPFI and SPFI, does this include the entire motor or just the fuel injection system? Sorry, i'm only 16, still learning, thanks again, also i'm just looking for suggestions and i do have to call the guy in the next couple days...
Archemitis used the EA82 MPFI, no turbo. The XT came both NA and Turbo. It will not be a DIRECT bolt in and drive. Modification will be required for ANY motor swap you choose.

Unless you are putting in another EA82 SPFI to just basicly replace the one you got. That would be a pretty direct bolt in replacment. Lots of work but very minimal modification would be needed. Honestly this would get you back on the road sooner.

I guess are you looking for a fun project or just trying to get back on the road? Time and Money (READ: parents) will dictate really what you should do :)

I think i'll just go w/ another EA82, my current motor is non turbo, can you use the same components from non-turbo to turbo such as ac, alt, etc...? Thanks for your help and suggestions

I think youll find A LOT of subaru parts are interchangeable :) Want some hiperformance upgrades? Hit a junkyard and get it off a better model subaru than yours! I love junkyard upgrades hehehe

If you can find an ea82T, it will bolt up to your tranny. It will obviously give you more power. I've never had an NA ea82, but I'm pretty sure that the Alternator and the AC unit will bolt up to it no problem. Subaru used A LOT of the same parts for their cars, and I think that alternators and AC's were some of them.

Someone on here can confirm that for you. I know what it's like. I got my First subaru at 16, and I'm only 18 now. This is a GREAT place to learn about them.

Good luck,

I think we'll just go w/ the regular EA82, mabye go through it and get some delta cams, and replace rings and gaskets and such... thanks for all the suggestions, someday mabye i'll have the time a resources to do more, we'lll see, thanks again for all the great help