Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings! I'm in need of a set of ej251 connecting rods for my 2002 Outback and it seems that they're rather hard to come by compared to other ej25 models. The ej251 (and I think the ej253) rods are 131.6 mm and the more common versions are 130.5 mm. My question is, if I put in the slightly shorter rods would it make any significant difference?

yeah, your quench would be all messed up and your compression height way down. It'll run, but compression and hp will be in the toilet.

SOHC EJ25 rods should all interchange as well as 1999 only EJ25D. I have a core quality EJ251 that I could pull rods from, but I don't have the time to pull it apart.

Thanks, Matt. Dang, I never would have thought that 1.1 mm would make that big of a difference! This certainly isn't going to be a performance rebuild, just dependable transportation that I'll use until it's beyond repair. I was thinking that on some of the engines I've rebuilt there was at least that much build-up that had to be chipped off the pistons and those engines ran O.K. (except for gasket leaks, etc.). Is decreasing the quench "better" than increasing it?

Locally, EJ2x engines are roughly in the $150~ range, complete. Might be easier to source a complete engine and just swap it in, or swap the block, or just pull parts that you need, and sell off the remaining bits. Might get lucky and find a complete car with tons of rust or physical damage but runs good, for next to nothing, that could be harvested and then parted out for an actual profit. My '95 Legacy is in the rusted out category atm but runs like a 60k mile car despite 190k on the clock. Plenty of these exist as prime part donor candidates.

Edited by Bushwick

Locally, EJ2x engines are roughly in the $150~ range, complete. Might be easier to source a complete engine and just swap it in, or swap the block, or just pull parts that you need, and sell off the remaining bits. Might get lucky and find a complete car with tons of rust or physical damage but runs good, for next to nothing, that could be harvested and then parted out for an actual profit. My '95 Legacy is in the rusted out category atm but runs like a 60k mile car despite 190k on the clock. Plenty of these exist as prime part donor candidates.

That's crazy.

Can't get one for less than $600 around here.  Usually more if they are going to be warrantied and such.

I don't like putting in used 2.5 anythings.

I always advise a fully rebuilt engine if they really want to keep the car.

runs between $2500~4000 for the customer on the entire job depending on what we have to do to their block and heads.  Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a Subaru shortblock rather than repair the old one.  If it's just one rod slightly worn I just rebuild.  If it's gotten really bad and slapped around a ton and/or been overheated I advise replacement.

Yeah, pick a part for the win. Used to be 4 within a 35 mile radius, but I think they closed one of the Cleveland ones. They flat-rate the engines as 4 cylinder, 6, etc. I've seen non interference ej22, later ej22, and sohc/dohc ej25. Hell, was trying to sell my '95 awhile back (4eat/ej22 non interference w/190k) for I think $350 (complete car) and never got any interest. Doesn't smoke, knock, tick, no bind, and passed it last e-check. Made another winter with patch work rear strut after tower busted through :) and it's been a champ. Thinking of finding a non-rusted body and having everything swapped. They still exist in the wild if you look hard enough.

GD,  That is a bummer.  Up here in the rust/salt belt, we have lots of nice running cars that look like Swiss cheese.  I have a trucking buddy that could put a couple on his flatbed and bring them to us if all they are going for is scrap.

GD, That is a bummer. Up here in the rust/salt belt, we have lots of nice running cars that look like Swiss cheese. I have a trucking buddy that could put a couple on his flatbed and bring them to us if all they are going for is scrap.

just go get one you want and bring it back yourself. It’s totally doable. I’ve gotten cars running and not from thousands of miles away multiple times. Anyone can do it.

And if you don’t want to you’ll find out why it’s not financially viable to do what you’re suggesting.

GD needs remdiated, driver does as well, then gas and determining what vehicle body, color, style, options etc people want and lining it all up one for one to fill the spots and spread out costs and getting paid up front before the vehicles and titles are here.

Sounds easier than it is.