Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sputters when turning left

My 1992 DL 1.8 dual range 2/4 WD did the same thing but on sharp right turns. It was RH drive. Maybe that could be a clue ? I assumed it to be a Carb/ fuel feed problem. I was told however by someone at work that their brother had the same car, and that the hydraulic valve lifters could run short of oil/fluid on real fast corners such as roundabouts etc. I never had the problem on hills though.

It really sounds like it is a carb related problem. I would be surprised if its a fuel pump issue, cos the effect is so quick to happen, on the actual corner, rather than a delayed one.

Post us if you discover the real reason, I am very curious about this effect.

Does it blow blue smoke when it spetters on left tuns? I remember something about the PCV system having mismatched hoses that allowed oil to build up and empty into the intake on left hand turns.
Nope. Only when I'm decelerating and get back on the throttle, will it blow billows of blue smoke. The PCV sys is not the original setup; the right side has just a filter and the left still has the piping to the pcv valve. Also, there seems to be oil splashing through the right filter cause that side has alot of oil splattered around in that area. Any other ideas?!?

You need to clean your engine...j/k:)
Nah, it'l only get dirty again when I see a mud puddle. ;-)

Had to take dad's truck in to get some quirks fixed today, so I didn't get a chance to see if I fixed my problem or not.:banghead: Will try again tomarrow.

Fuel pump doesn't have enough pressure. The Weber needs 2.5 to 3 psi (some books sugest as much as 4 psi). The stock pump is only capable of 1 - 2 psi, and that's when they are new. I would imagine that a 20 year old pump is probably putting out the bare minimum or possibly less. The lack of enough fuel pressure is keeping your float bowl too low because the pressure isn't enough to overcome the spring loaded release mechanism. Thus your problem on sharp turns - it's leaning out the mixture on you I would guess....

GD

You are on the right path. Ignore the assumptions and guesses on the fuel system. Fuel pumps dont blow blue smoke; oil in the comubstion chamber will however :)

Your current setup wont allow oil into the intake again thankfully. Let us know how it all works out!

Peace

Ok, I'll check the fuel pressure. One side note: on long periods of WOT and high RPMS I do not get any fuel starvation. Don't know if that makes any difference or not, just thought I'd let ya know. Off to check the fuel pressure.....

... when I'm decelerating and get back on the throttle, will it blow billows of blue smoke. ...

huh? whats that? it DOES blow blue smoke?

interesting....

--------------

So Subynut, tried any more turns with that new PCV system? Any difference?

Nope. Only when I'm decelerating and get back on the throttle, will it blow billows of blue smoke.
As in - it does not do it when turning left - which was his original question, and the one which I was addressing. By his own description, they are two seperate problems.....

Also - if the fuel pump pressure is good, it might be a good idea to test the fuel pump volume as well - especially since the pressure reading seems a bit high

acording to the FSM.

GD

As in - it does not do it when turning left - which was his original question, and the one which I was addressing. By his own description, they are two seperate problems.....

GD

Still could have been sputtering on oil, with out smoke. Takes quite a bit of oil in the chambers to blow enough smoke to see. Mine wouldnt smoke 'till i was out of the turn (after deselerating from the turn) and then hitting the gas again. Sometimes it wouldnt even smoke, just sputter and go out of the turn.

I"d really like to know if that PCV setup helped at all after running them both to a breather...

Ok, that seems to have fixed the problem. Doesn't stumble on hard left turns any more. Also I have more low end torque again, too. Yet, I have the same amount of vacume at idle. :confused: Still smokes, but, it's alot less than before. Thanks guys! You've been a great help! Now I can buzz around corners and slide in the dirt again without having to restart the engine! :)

Ok, that seems to have fixed the problem. Doesn't stumble on hard left turns any more. Also I have more low end torque again, too. Yet, I have the same amount of vacume at idle. :confused: Still smokes, but, it's alot less than before. Thanks guys! You've been a great help! Now I can buzz around corners and slide in the dirt again without having to restart the engine! :)

Glad you are back on track! Try some seafoam in the gas tank to clean that oil out of your chambers

Good luck !_!

It's one of those "fancy" aftermarket cone types you find at Autozone or PepBoys. It was like, 5 or 7 bucks (I think) Thought it would go with the carb filter rather nicely. Well, when it's clean, that is!:rolleyes: Page one has a pic of it.