Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi there, 

I recently did a 2.2 swap on my older GL. The engine has just over 170k. When the engine is cold, and on start up, it is quiet and smooth. But once it warms up, there is a tick/dull knock. I know that these boxers are noisy lil things. The post I've read talk about the noise when cold and warm. But mine only appears once the engine is up to temp. It runs strong with plenty of power. Is this something serious, or is it just signs of old age? I haven't had enough experience with the 2.2s to know what's what. 

On 8/21/2018 at 9:20 PM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

seems opposite of piston slap so, I'm thinking it could be rod knock.

I think an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis could be definitive. Or, post a link to a recording, maybe one of the gurus here could ID the noise.

That would suck. I'll take a video when I get home, and see if I can capture it. I've read that the tensionor pully can make that sound when it starts to go, could this be a possibility? 

1 hour ago, ClassySoob said:

That would suck. I'll take a video when I get home, and see if I can capture it. I've read that the tensionor pully can make that sound when it starts to go, could this be a possibility? 

GD can confirm but, I don't think the style tensioner on a 2.2 has a reputation for making the same noise as the newer style can.

All the 97s I’ve seen have the newer style tensioner.

yes they slap and sound an awful lot like rod knock. 

97 EJ22 is an interference engine and usually bends a majority of valves if the belt breaks or, more commonly, the pulleys fail.  If you didn’t install a complete tikknf belt kit and it’s not rod knock then ideally it should get a Subaru or Aisin timing kit  

Where did you get the engine? Reputable source or cheapest available?

If you did an EA to EJ swap you can diagnose the tesnioner in minutes. Pull the timing covers and start the engine and watch the tensioner.  It’s either flopping around or its not. Or try a mechanics sterhoscope or pulling onky the drivers side cover which is really easy but I can’t recall if it can be seen from there.  

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

Pulling the LHS cam cover does expose the cam tensioner if you get on the right angle.  We had a bad one in our '99 Liberty that knocked but didn't show any sign of the typical bouncing you see in youtube clips of this issue  It sounded like rod knock too.  But the only way we nailed it as the tensioner was with a stethoscope.  Our noise was immediate on start up.

If it's not the tensioner I'd be looking at the oil pump, making sure the internal O ring isn't toast, while that's off replace the O ring anyway ;)

If it's an auto make sure the torque converter to flex plate bolts are done up tight enough for the job.

Cheers

Bennie