Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 glf recently bought have questions

I recently bought a 1982 glf and it’s without a backseat.

What backseats will fit if any?

Needs balljoints is there anything specific I should get?

my mirrors were stolen anyone got a set for sale?

and anymore insight into this car would be nice. It’s got the factory Sunroof too

0BA16B51-7644-4B4F-93D9-CEB77A377160.jpeg

F54B78A9-E2E7-4262-B51A-660F567E7EB3.jpeg

630EF127-8E82-42EC-8D29-0182D95F69DA.jpeg

Edited by Dustin297
  • Like 1

For the mirrors, you could go back to stock which are easy enough to pull from any EA81 vehicle. The mirrors that are shown aren't originals (OEM JDM mount on the top edge of the fender, not from the side), so if you really want the JDM look but don't care about originality any eBay cheapies will do the job.

If it's rust-free it's worth keeping. If the doors are full of filler and the sills are gone, it's only worth scrap metal.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

Ignore @GeneralDisorder, he just wants to see the world rid of all vintage Subarus... :lol:

No, not rid of. Just feel it's only fair to warn people this won't be an easy path. Pretty soon, if you want any EA engine parts you'll be machining them yourself. This stuff is getting ridiculously scarce and the supply is definitely going to be incapable of supporting the ones left on the road (or still parked near it). Sure there are options for swapping, but in reality those aren't feasible for but a select few that have the skills or the sizable wallet to get the job done. You can't open a catalog and buy engine swap kits like your can for an old Chevy. 

It took several months, and more money than most here are willing to spend just to get my lifted hatch to a state capable of driving to/from some trails a couple hours away. And that's after only sitting a couple years in front of my shop. I had to dig deep into the parts stash and search far and wide for decent power steering rack I could still save. I spent over $1k in parts to drive it three times this summer and I'm not even done - still need to tie up a few loose ends. 

Edited by GeneralDisorder

And that's for the love of the vehicle GD.

My $500 L series (12 or so years ago now) isn't quite in the same category, but I've definitely spent more on it than I purchased it for - but she's modified, reliable and does what I want plus some at times.

Dustin, if you're going to restore this hard top and know what you're doing mechanically etc, now is the time to do it!   Also don't be stuck with just sourcing bits in the states if need be.

Cheers

Bennie