Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cast your votes

Here's the deal, I have a '92 Loyale 3AT FWD in solid Mechanical Condition, and an '85 GL 5spd D/R with some nasty rust issues (frame collapsing, almost no safe place to put jack stands anymore without risk of punching holes) and some engine problems (25 mpg max, almost no power, suspected vacuum leak).

Should I put the 5spd D/R tranny and drivetrain/suspension under the Loyale and TBI motor? Or just fix the vacuum leak and drive the GL into the ground and sell the loyale?

and if I do make these two good cars into one sweet car and one pile o' parts, should I lift it? I don't need/want much, but I have bottomed out a couple times and would like to have a bit more clearance, I'm thinking the BYB 3" and some larger tires on stock rims, is it worth it? or is there an easier/more sensible way to get a couple more inches of clearance?

What do yall think?

Yeah.. what rob said...

Why would you keep a crappy rust piece of crap carb car when you have a nice SPFI car to put that D/R tranny in to?

Lift? that totally depends on what you want.. but don't bother if you are going to keep the stock wheels. All the lift does is raise up the body to allow for larger wheel / tire combos. If you aren't going to utilize that aspect of it, its a waste of money.

Bottom line..

Loyale = Good candiate for trans swap

85 = Parts.

ok, but how hard is it to do the 3AT -> 5spd conversion?

and, if an actual lift isn't the way to go, How would you recommend getting a few more inches of ground clearance. Would just bigger tires get me what I want? Would the restricted suspension travel be worth it? What's the answer here?

ok, but how hard is it to do the 3AT -> 5spd conversion?

and, if an actual lift isn't the way to go, How would you recommend getting a few more inches of ground clearance. Would just bigger tires get me what I want? Would the restricted suspension travel be worth it? What's the answer here?

Not hard.. I've done it.. a search will trun up lots of info about it.

Ground clearance.. if you are only after a couple of inches, 14 inch pugs with 25-26 inch tires and the long 4wd wagon struts will do fine.. there isn't really any large tire you can put on the stock 13 inch wheels

Ah im going through the same thing with the tranny conversion only im doin an ea-82 5 spd into an ea-81 3 at. From what i hear its not to difficult if youve got the tools and the USMB. If you find anything useful would you mind lettin me know? As far as ground clearance i think Calebz is right, pugs and a little bit bigger tires if you only need a few inchs. Goodluck

Cheers:drunk:

As far as ground clearance i think Calebz is right, pugs and a little bit bigger tires if you only need a few inchs.

Cheers:drunk:

Of course I'm right!! Just look at the car in my sig. (pugs and a little bigger tires=a little more ground clearance) :)

Look for Archemides or Morgan, they are both up in the Twin Cities area. I'd bet they have all the best wrecking yards scouted out.

PS, Be sure to NOT get the "390" metric rims, a few people (not from this board) have tried to push them off as 15".

PSS, also try Ebay. Later, Tim

take all the good parts and pout them on the good car. take all the leftover parts and put them on the rusty car. drive both cars. or sell the rusty one!

i could do it in 2-3 days(ENTIRE motor/tranny/suspension/subframe/interior swap). ask ol' jim wood

pretty much if you have 2 complete cars, then you have EVERYTHING to do it besides a drill bit and a few bolts. jim went from 2 running cars to 2 running cars, each car is in the other's body!