Jump to content
Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
DC493

EJ Goals for 2019

Recommended Posts

Hello all! First of all i work 2 jobs and go to school constantly and looking through page after page on my phone in a rush is very tedious.

so any links or guidance would be very appreciated.

i currently have a 1993 loyale sedan ea82 5spd D/r 

 I have finally put all the pressure on myself to get my Ej swap done this year. Im just curious, where is a good place to look for an EJ22? How much would it cost me to rebuild if i found a high mileage one? 

one other thing that Im not sure of is finding or making a wiring harness. 

one last thing i am wondering is front axles and cross member, does anything need to be modded?

other than that i plan on getting the adapter plate from ADF along with the 2 inch lift (possible 4 inch just need to look into steering shaft extension) 

Any links to threads that will help me out will be greatly appreciated or hacks that you have while you did your EA82 To EJ22 Swap. 

Thank you again, as being a student with two jobs is tedious....I have to complete this goal...TIA..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DC493 said:

Hello all! First of all i work 2 jobs and go to school constantly and looking through page after page on my phone in a rush is very tedious.

so any links or guidance would be very appreciated.

i currently have a 1993 loyale sedan ea82 5spd D/r 

 I have finally put all the pressure on myself to get my Ej swap done this year. Im just curious, where is a good place to look for an EJ22? How much would it cost me to rebuild if i found a high mileage one? 

one other thing that Im not sure of is finding or making a wiring harness. 

one last thing i am wondering is front axles and cross member, does anything need to be modded?

other than that i plan on getting the adapter plate from ADF along with the 2 inch lift (possible 4 inch just need to look into steering shaft extension) 

Any links to threads that will help me out will be greatly appreciated or hacks that you have while you did your EA82 To EJ22 Swap. 

Thank you again, as being a student with two jobs is tedious....I have to complete this goal...TIA..

 

Hey there I just did an EJ swap over the summer. I found my EJ 22 on Facebook for $300. You can look on marketplace, Craigslist etc. But its better to buy a whole donor car so you'll have everything on the EJ side that you'll need for the swap. You'll also need a Bell housing adapter, the EA82 flywheel redrilled for the EJ. http://www.sjrlift.com/ can provide those for you. There are a few threads on here for the swap, but I don't know the links.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy a whole vehicle - ensure it’s running!

Pull the harness and cut it down to just the engine management wiring. Test run this with the engine still in the donor vehicle. If it’s starts and runs without any codes you’re good to go with the rest of the conversion. 

The gearbox and driveshafts aren’t touched unless you fit the EJ AWD box.

Cheers

Bennie

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on getting a donor car.

You know how she runs, wiring harness included naturally,  and part out the rest! 

I basically bought a new clutch and adapter plate with a free ej22 cause I got a donor car for $500 (t bone accident), sold the trans and diff, and scrapped the body.

I did this swap two years ago ago on my 86 gl.

Numbchux did THE ea2ej writeup, it's in pdf, just google it (ea2ej swap) and busarus youtube channel has links to pinouts.

Have fun! I learned efi as I went, i was a true rookie! Just carby small block chevys! It took me 8 months and i trimmed the harness myself :D I had no more experience with wiring outside of stereos. I was truly intimidate at first.

The ea flywheel can be drilled with a regular drill with fancy bits, and a lot of patience. Just use the ej flywheel as a template, saving you $200 for a pre drilled!

My 86 is sleeper as hell now, she mashed a v8 jeep, a v6 5 speed maxima (not exactly slow, nor fast those nissans) a turbo outback  (overweight) and will murder my camaro drag racing, any distance. Those bodies are so light is why this swap is the sh!t, and you can lane split in one of these. My gl no sh!t stayed on a Ferraris asss in the mountains once going over 100 mph uphill in 5th! Lol! The Ferrari wasn't wuss either, just the driver!

And monster burnouts without even side stepping :burnout: All the way through second if mat it against the rev limiter and still chirping 3rd! You won't regret the blood, sweat and tears. 

The ej swap is the best way to keep the ea82 bodies munching miles! The spfi ea82 is a boat anchor.

WP_20160808_001.thumb.jpg.7d5ef50634a880291cb1e88665c01002.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sparkyboy said:

Have fun! I learned efi as I went, i was a true rookie! Just carby small block chevys! It took me 8 months and i trimmed the harness myself :D I had no more experience with wiring outside of stereos. I was truly intimidate at first.

Everyone is for their first!  Don’t focus on the number of wires and how they’re jumbled up. 

You need the following wires:

- permanent power (fused)

- back up power  (fused)

- starter wire (use the EJ’s starter setup, you just need the wire to the starter and the other to trigger the starter circuit (fused)

- fuel pump wire (fused from memory)

- vehicle speed sensor wire (VSS), hook into the speed sensor in the back of the instrument cluster

- AC relay wire (good if you’re going to run AC)

- thermofan relay or cut off wire (earth switched)

From memory that’s it. The rest of the wiring plugs into the ECU or the engine and sensors etc.

Cheers 

Bennie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yea I took the time to do the valve seals, head gaskets and timing belt etc...easy since the engine is out and switch the rear main seal cover if yours is plastic, i believe Subaru sell aluminum ones for like $25, but eBay has them. You can resurface the heads  yourself too if you have a piece of glass and some sticky sandpaper with wd-40. I'll find the link, hat tip to GD on that one, i believe it's 80 grit iirc.

I was able to reuse the hlas, but she runs almost too quiet, no ticking is nice but every sube should tick cold at least lol! She'll get there I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To keep costs down I carefully purchased my engine from a parts yard. It had 127k km on the clock. Turned out the clutch was completely toast. 

Then I “bench” test as I wanted to make sure my wiring worked properly - and to assess the head gasket situation as I really didn’t want to do that job already, mainly due to cost.  Here’s the first start up, exhaust mid section poked out under the rear door of our shed:

Worked a treat! These head gaskets survived a 5min run at 4K rpm in soft sand on a beach with the temp gauge at 120*C (mechanical temp gauge plumber into the coolant out pipe in the heater circuit).  I also froze the block in the first week of moving up to the snowfields - the replacement coolant didn’t have any antifreeze properties in it! Head gaskets survived after some very careful engine start, runs free seconds, sit a few seconds, start, run a bit long etc and repeated this until the radiator hoses were liquified. Then drove it to the season staff carpark where it was a much more sheltered. Left it to thaw out then swapped the coolant out. 

Four years later they let go!

Anyway, bit of a long story there!

I guess I’m saying enjoy the exeperience. Make some informed decisions and that’ll help with a successful conversion ;)

Cheers 

Bennie

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool Bennie! Yea the ej22 can take a beating, i overheated mine twice and never blew a head gasket.

This is just anecdotal evidence, but each time I got them hot, i added water to the radiator and got them down to operating temp instead of letting them go from overheating to cold and i think that helps avoid warping.

Anyway, here ya go speaking of hgs. :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be best either finding a partout or buying a parts car.

There is a writeup floating somewhere here by Numbchux. 

I would recommend SJR for the harness, lift and adapter plate. Flywheel you can use a dremel tool with a carbide bit and elongate the holes until it fits the EJ crank. If possible look for a 96 EJ they are non interference and OBDII.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, alexbuoy said:

It would be best either finding a partout or buying a parts car.

There is a writeup floating somewhere here by Numbchux. 

I would recommend SJR for the harness, lift and adapter plate. Flywheel you can use a dremel tool with a carbide bit and elongate the holes until it fits the EJ crank. If possible look for a 96 EJ they are non interference and OBDII.

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/70982-ea-to-ej-swap-write-up/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×