Sign in to follow this  
Mitchy

Legacy II 2.2i, (BD) sedan, 1997

The Forester has a single dash holder, one in the top of the centre armrest/stash, and two fold-outs in the rear of the centre console. Plus a million little hatches and hidy-holes.

The Legacy is weird and just has the centre console stash. 

There was a blanking plate in the dash centre, where the (EU optional?) double cupholder should be. As can be seen, I have remedied this oversight.

I do not care about the rear cupholders, three young kids, -less to break!

Quick ‘brochure’ snapshot during today’s trip to my friend’s place amongst the vines:

8CD0980F-86C3-40AE-91CF-22F0B762412D.thumb.jpeg.a5577ac182e234a25cba13a4be1cb11b.jpeg

• Like 1

On my way back from work yesterday I stopped at a station for refreshment and to top up my screen squirter bottle.

I noticed an ever so slight smell of coolant which always puts me on alert.

First I looked at was the slightly soft upper rad hose area, and hey presto, there was little dry patch of whitish deposit on the  belt cover. The hose had finally begun to perish externally and had a teeny weeny split.

It wasn’t actually leaking with the engine idling, strangely enough, though I could feel the spot where the split was with my finger.

I bit the bullet and steadily head homeward, some 20 miles, watching the temp gauge all the while.

No harm done, and with no noticeable coolant loss, letting it all cool down I did a quick nighttime change with the lovely new expensive genuine hose I bought just last week...

Seems just fine now.

new and old2E55D8CD-6BB9-4117-9BBD-F1636BC0BEAB.jpeg.5a9c297e87282ba26080cf5367dbd8e0.jpeg

romantic evening in8F080C69-1A2D-40A7-8CCF-E1C9362B08D0.jpeg.3444d3674e91bb45f65b747e2d4aac01.jpeg

Edited by Mitchy

Testing the Forester’s 15x6 steelies with the standard Yokohama Geolandar 205/70 R15.

This is with the 1.5” strut spacers, awaiting arrival and fitting of KYB Legacy Outback struts....

If the authorities allow this setup, I shall be fitting a set of Geolandar G015 A/T on the original Legacy alloys.

151A21D5-A569-4C25-8926-A2C7C6176B9B.jpeg.ef6bfb65b40ced21289e70980c48abc0.jpeg

74B1162E-034D-4B9D-BF5A-64F0A2103504.jpeg.c4e0b3194004cb0403ad5225cbe6e6e9.jpeg

the angle of the sun makes it look like the wheels are in-set, but really they are just within the arch.

Cannot fit much more rubber under there.

I have to take precise suspension clearance measurements because these steelies have 48 offset and the Leggy alloys have 55.

I also have the opcion of some 15x7 alloys for the Forester (offset 48) but I am not certain whether I want to stretch the tire over that extra inch....

I’m getting the clearance I need now with this setup.

The 7 inch wide wheels are really tasty though..

3FA0D556-221D-45BD-BDC6-9AD964E2AADE.jpeg.19432667e7be692d9dc03ecd8c927119.jpeg

Edited by Mitchy

19 hours ago, Mitchy said:

But I really like the bog-standard Forester steelies....

Said no one ever! :D 

Looks good mate! *almost* makes me want to do a lifted sedan. But I’m a wagon boy at heart (or ute, either way!). 

Cheers 

Bennie

4 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Said no one ever! :D 

Looks good mate! *almost* makes me want to do a lifted sedan. But I’m a wagon boy at heart (or ute, either way!). 

Cheers 

Bennie

.....But they’re 5-spoke alloy-disguised steelies. 48 offset compared to 55. Perfect for off-road, ding repairs etc

And they remind me of slot-mags!

I took the original 7” alloys off the Forester and replaced them with these! Yup I’m a freak.

I might keep em on and put those alloys back in the Forry. Or just keep playing until missis says ‘enough!’

Its starting to get taller, especially viewed from the rear! I haven’t even put the Outback struts in yet, so will be taller still...Now for the roof rack and some front bumper mods and we’re all set. Oh, and timing belt, water pump, oil change due, ARB spacers, lower BJs . . .

I would have bought an Outback if there had been an option, but this was what there was for the money and I don’t regret it a bit. The Forester does a fine job.