Ultimate Subaru Message Board

?'s about using XT6 knuckle with EJ axles (impreza)

FerGloyale

Hey all.

Got a question for the advanced swappers out there (numchux, I'm lookin at you)

I want to go 5 lug on the front of my EA81 wheeler. It's already using EA82 front suspension/crossmember.

My options are 

1) Imp/Leg knuckles and brakes and Imp axles.   This would work, but would leave me with rear e-brake as my only option.  Which is fine, I'm running 01 outback suspension back there, so I COULD hook them up.  But I've got Dual ebrake handles and cables already setup for Front ebrake.  I run welded diff in rear, and use the front dual ebrake for "traction control" on the front in tippy situations.  I'd like to not lose that.

2) XT6 knuckle and brakes with Impreza axle.  But IIRC, there is a different inner wheel seal that needs to be utilized with this combo.   

So, question is basically what seal combo will I need to run the IMP axles in the Xt6 knuckles?

7 minutes ago, 86BRATMAN said:

Early non abs fwd impreza caliper brackets and rotors with xt6 calipers on ej knuckles will give you front ebrake. I put more detailed info in the Retrofitting FAQ thread a couple years ago. 

This would be my recommendation.

But, here's my stream-of-consciousness post about inner wheel seals:

Short version, I ended up test-fitting a Timken/National 225678, and it looked like it would work (I don't like the XT6 knuckle/brake setup for my applications, so I never put it to use).

6 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

Hey all.

Got a question for the advanced swappers out there (numchux, I'm lookin at you)

I want to go 5 lug on the front of my EA81 wheeler. It's already using EA82 front suspension/crossmember.

My options are 

1) Imp/Leg knuckles and brakes and Imp axles.   This would work, but would leave me with rear e-brake as my only option.  Which is fine, I'm running 01 outback suspension back there, so I COULD hook them up.  But I've got Dual ebrake handles and cables already setup for Front ebrake.  I run welded diff in rear, and use the front dual ebrake for "traction control" on the front in tippy situations.  I'd like to not lose that.

2) XT6 knuckle and brakes with Impreza axle.  But IIRC, there is a different inner wheel seal that needs to be utilized with this combo.   

So, question is basically what seal combo will I need to run the IMP axles in the Xt6 knuckles?

Can you get EJ knuckles?  I also run EJ knuckles, axles, and XT6 brakes with imp brackets as well.  

Numbchux info on wheel seals is the only I’ve ever seen on EJ/ER wheel seal comparisons  

My current daily driver XT6 came with EJ axles and XT6 knuckles. two wheel bearings failed in 6 months and they seemed “tight”. 

maybe it was coincidence or because it sat a couple inches lower than stock, or it was the seals (don’t know what seals it had). I assumed the axles were the issue then lifted and converted it. 

5 hours ago, 86BRATMAN said:

Early non abs fwd impreza caliper brackets and rotors with xt6 calipers on ej knuckles will give you front ebrake. I put more detailed info in the Retrofitting FAQ thread a couple years ago. 

5 hours ago, Numbchux said:

This would be my recommendation.

But, here's my stream-of-consciousness post about inner wheel seals:

Short version, I ended up test-fitting a Timken/National 225678, and it looked like it would work (I don't like the XT6 knuckle/brake setup for my applications, so I never put it to use).

what about early legacy (92) FWD knuckles/brackets?

1 hour ago, FerGloyale said:

what about early legacy (92) FWD knuckles/brackets?

knuckles yes, I think we've all used impreza brackets.  i think the legacy brackets are the same as other legacy brackets and won't work.

EJ knuckle, FWD impreza 242mm rotor and caliper bracket

XT6 caliper and caliper slide pin

^^^ Correct. Only the early fwd non abs impreza uses the tiny brakes. You can use basically any knuckle you want, if you get ahold of an abs knuckle you will have to remove the tone ring from the hub for these rotors to slip on though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.  

Impreza 242 MM rotors ordered

Impreza w/13" wheel brake caliper brackets ordred

1st Gen legacy Knuckles prepped (saving the XT6 knuckles for XT6s)

XT6 control arms set to receive EJ balljoints

Now we wait.

Edited by FerGloyale

5 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

Okay.  

Impreza 242 MM rotors ordered

Impreza w/13" wheel brake caliper brackets ordred

1st Gen legacy Knuckles prepped (saving the XT6 knuckles for XT6s)

XT6 control arms set to receive EJ balljoints

Now we wait.

great.  it'll be obvious to you and you have piles of parts, if using XT6 calipers then an XT6 caliper bracket pin is installed on the impreza brackets.

crap.  Brackets alone are NLA for the 13" wheel Imp calipers.

Got a line on whole calipers/ brackets included.   Autozone lists them.  Gonna order a set today and hope they actually come in.  

Anybody need 2 brand new base model 93 Impreza front calipers? I just need the brackets I think.

Alright.

Got the Impreza calipers with brackets.  $160 for both including the core charges I had to pay.

Got the 242mm rotors

Got the Pads to fit the IMP brackets

Got the 23 spline Imp axles

Got the Xt6 control arms

goin to try a mock up this afternoon.  Hopefully with Pics.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, probably the first post to be this excited about tiny 13" wheel impreza brakes and axles ever!!

Had to put a new wheel bearing into the drivers side knuckle today.  Bearing was so bad the hub was trashed too.  I had to press one from a 96 Outback and remove the tone ring.  Now all pressed in with new bearing and ready to go now.

Here the Combo......mocked up for sexy all their 13" wheel, 23 spline Impreza sexiness. 

1st gen Legacy non-abs Knuckles

93 FWD Imprezas axles 

93 FWD Impreza rotors 242mm

93 FWD Impreza Caliper brackets 

93 Impreza FWD brake pads

Impreza actual calipers will be replaced with the EA82 calipers on the rig currently.

48135658228_602b01310c_k.jpgIMG_3809 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Here's a pic of the difference in the slider pin sizes.  Upper pin teh EA82 pin is longer, and possibly larger diameter.....haven't pulled them apart yet.

48135623971_6854d9ee92_k.jpgIMG_3810 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Lower pin looks like it might be the same length, gotta also check diameter too.  More to come.

48135655408_0ec51d9235_k.jpgIMG_3811 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Next up, XT6 control arms widened 5/8th inch (1-1/4 track width increase to match stock Impreza)

And 2011 Outback Front shocks, modified perches to use 2004 Outback rear springs.

Thoughts?

Edited by FerGloyale
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/24/2019 at 3:47 PM, 86BRATMAN said:

I can’t find your article with more info in the retro guide. Any pics or advice?

After some time I figured it out.  forgot how the cables were routed on the old car. Been running no e brake for 7 years. This is the first real maintenance in years.  Overall smaller rotors with e brake is better.  

40F9FF2A-455D-469B-A0B9-91D5D4644CF5.jpeg

Edited by snofool
  • Like 1