Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting to know my xt6 (1st Suuub)

Hey guys,

I'm not familiar with Subaru cars and trying to become as abreast as possible with my 1989 XT6. I have so many questions.....and trying to look for parts:

1.  how exactly does the 4wd system engage? (technically speaking) because I push the button and i don't feel as if though it works.
  2. Where can I find a rear passenger side half shaft.

These are just a few things that I need to know to get my suuub moving can anyone please help!!!

I think you have AWD not just selectable 4WD

Any labels on it to saw AWD?

If so, and the button you don't say where , is a diff lock button? You won't feel anything

Get it on loose surface, wind window down to listen and take off Ina hurry. Do you hear rear wheels gripping and just front wheels tearing away on loose surface? There is a difference. If you have AWD and diff lock, diff lock is for centre diff inside rear of gearbox, so it is also manual not automatic?

The centre diff lock ties the front wheels diff and the rear wheel diff together for off road stuff, for want of simpler terms

12 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

I think you have AWD not just selectable 4WD

Any labels on it to saw AWD?

If so, and the button you don't say where , is a diff lock button? You won't feel anything

Get it on loose surface, wind window down to listen and take off Ina hurry. Do you hear rear wheels gripping and just front wheels tearing away on loose surface? There is a difference. If you have AWD and diff lock, diff lock is for centre diff inside rear of gearbox, so it is also manual not automatic?

The centre diff lock ties the front wheels diff and the rear wheel diff together for off road stuff, for want of simpler terms

hey

yeah its a full time awd with manual transmission

and i currently cant move because i need a half shaft and so what you are telling me that the 4 wheels only spins under a high rpm?

In the console between elbows, yes

That is the button you pressing and feel nothing?

It activates manifold vacuum switching solenoids you find mounted centrally above firewall that activate and deactivate a six inch diameter diaphragm on left side front up high on gearbox that actuates a cable that looks like clutch cable thick, runs over to right side of gearbox where a lever is close to gearbox mount

Dunno about a light, but they system needs vacuum to operate the dog clutch in the centre diff. You may need to slip the clutch carefully at idle to get the dog clutch to engage as it may not be aligned properly to lock. 

The button doesn’t guarantee instant lock once pressed. It just activated the locking system. I would say there will be a diff lock light that illuminates once the centre diff is engaged. 

The centre diff lock is there for dirt road driving and those really odd times if you find yourself stuck in a pothole with one wheel that has little to no traction where all the engine power is going to. 

Subaru dropped this setup in the EJ AWD in favour of the centre diff LSD setup, much more user friendly and less parts to produce, so it was goodbye locking centre diff :( 

On the LHS strut tower, behind it actually, you should find some vacuum solenoids that have two lines running to the diaphragm, located just behind and below the starter motor. Make sure these are changing the direction of the vacuum and that the diaphragm is moving the cable.

I hope this helps you out. 

Cheers 

Bennie

9 hours ago, Steptoe said:

If it is AWD and you drive it with an axle missing ...I would not!! What damage will happen to centre diff?

These AWD must not be towed on just two wheels

1. Yes your diff lock isn’t working   

2. It should drive and the orange light in the dash should turn on

3. Crawl under the car and manually pull the cable to lock it.  It’s on the passengers side of the trans.  Unbolt the cable bracket so the cable will move by hand. Then move it.  If that doesn’t work - move it back  to the other position just in case it needs worked back and forth  

It may be working fine. On XT6s, sometimes the system doesn’t engage while sitting still.  The car needs to move a little to engage. yours may not engage simply because it’s not moving. So I wouldn’t try to diagnose it until you get a new axle.   Check the fuse, switch, then vacuum hoses, and cable to see if it’s seized. The switch is in a good place to get things spilled on it. 

Driving without a rear axle won’t matter at all in this case. Absolutely zero damage will occur to the center diff.  It is going to spin the rear driveshaft the same way no matter what - there will be zero change or difference, the trans can not even “know” the axle is missing. 

The center differential is locked and does the same thing wether there is a rear axle in place or not.  

The rear diff will be loaded probably exclusively to one side but that’s not going to matter either.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Steptoe said:

If it is AWD and you drive it with an axle missing ...I would not!! What damage will happen to centre diff?

These AWD must not be towed on just two wheels

Agreed about your towing comment. 

But if the centre diff is locked, there will not be any damage to the centre diff. I’ve done it for 70km due to necessity before. Ran the same, no noises etc. I fixed the issue once back at civilisation, unlocked the centre diff and continued as usual. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

Yep, 2 vacuum solenoids by the LH strut tower in the engine bay. They're very simple solenoids that block vacuum normally, and open to allow vacuum past when power is put to them. I would start there, with a multimeter you can identify if power is making it there (I've seen switches and wiring fail). Then, make a visual inspection of the vacuum lines from those solenoids to the engine, and also from them down to the actuator on the side of the transmission. You can even pull these off and feel for vacuum with the engine running.

Yes, there should be an indicator light on the dash for the diff lock. This is an entirely separate circuit with a switch on the transmission, and somewhat prone to failure, so don't take that as gospel.

And yea, if your front diff and axles are intact, it would be fine to drive with the diff locked with a missing axle. Don't run it in gear with it unlocked, as your center and rear spider gears will be spinning like crazy (which they are not designed to do).

• Like 2

• 10 months later...