Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea71 starting issues

Verify the choke is working properly. 

When the engine is cold, it should snap closed when you pump the gas once before turning the key.

Once it has warmed up, [and as it warms up] the choke should open. 

On a warm start, it should not be closed tight again, or not at all, depending on the temperature.

After you pumped it, look and see if the choke closed.  Take the air filter off.  That's if it's an electric  / automatic choke.  If it's manual,  there has to be a pull knob on the dash somewhere. 

Edited by DaveT

I pumped it once and nothing happened. I took the filter off and closed it by hand and it fired in one crank. I'm not sure that it is even wired right. Would you know what wire it should be if I sent you a picture of the wiring around it? I know there is no electrical attached to the gas pedal itself. That means that the choke is engaged through the carb itself. Does that mean that all that the choke needs is power?

Edited by Marks02
Lack of info

The automatic chokes I have dealt with have a thermally sensitive spring that when cold, will snap the choke closed when you tap the gas pedal before cranking.   They also have a wire that get 12v when the engine is on that runs a heater near that spring,  that makes it relax, opening the choke as things warm up.  The round part facing the camera in the picture above might be it.

Take the three screws out and see if the spring is ok. It is on the inside of the cap. Maybe the spring is distorted and got on the wrong side of the lever. While the cap is off, make sure the lever easily closes the choke plate.

When it is cold you turn the cap until the choke closes. If it has notches on it go one more notch and tighten the screws.

Other models had water pipes on that cap.

• Like 1