Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brumby/BRAT front hub squeak

Since completing new bearings and shafts on the front end I’ve got a squeak that seems to come from the front left. 

It is definitely rotational dependant and it comes/goes when there’s side load on the wheel. 

I initially thought it was the washer being fitted backwards. So I’ve rotated it and no change. 

I want this issue to be sorted! Any ideas or solutions welcome! 

Cheers 

Bennie

4 hours ago, DaveT said:

I never had a squeek caused by the axle nut or bearings.  Brakes, could be.

Yeah it’s an interesting one. It doesn’t sound like brakes, too high pitched. 

I’ll have a good listen this morning as I’m going for a decent drive now so plenty of listening time... 

Cheers 

Bennie

I had a funny one drivers side rear on Project Cheap Grief.

There at slow speed, snerk, sne-erk, snerk ...you get the idea

Found wheel bearing had play, so nicked it up to spec. Fixed the noise and free play. A year later when pulling car down for donating organs to a Brumby, I found the bearing in a state of distress

Neither post any help I am sure.

Smurf poo on everything?

2 hours ago, skishop69 said:

I agree. Something with the brakes or the backing plate got bent during your work and it's contacting the rotor.  I would NOT remove the pads and go for a drive. You could over extend the caliper pistons or run them into the rotor and damage it.

I wouldn’t do that. Jonno (Steptoe) and I go way back on forums, I get his humour. 

The drive yesterday was a bust. It actually rained all morning very lightly - just enough to need wipers constantly and not be able to hear noises due to the water spray off the road. 

Thinking along the lines of brake pads, I reckon it could be a shim that’s just touching the disc at one point. 

I’ll get around to pulling that wheel off at some stage and checking out the brake setup. Then I’ll report back. That could be up to two weeks time. Busy busy, brumby not in high use atm. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks Kiwi brumby. I’ve got a 3/4inch drive breaker bar that I jump on good and proper, this was done twice now (second time to check the concave washer was installed correctly). So I’ve not given this a second thought. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2020 at 5:22 PM, el_freddo said:

Thanks Kiwi brumby. I’ve got a 3/4inch drive breaker bar that I jump on good and proper, this was done twice now (second time to check the concave washer was installed correctly). So I’ve not given this a second thought. 

Cheers 

Bennie

So, how did it go?

13 hours ago, KiwiBrumby said:

So, how did it go?

I thought about it yesterday when cruising into town... it has to be something like a bent edge of the dust shield but I can’t work it out with the wheel in place. 

I’ll definitely update this thread once I work out what it is. Not drive ability issues associated with the noise. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 6:46 PM, KiwiBrumby said:

So, how did it go?

Well you inspired me to check it out last night. Good weather for it, mid 20’s, loads of mozzies :banghead: 

Turned out a shim on the inner pad was rubbing the disc momentarily. I’d also fitted the inner pads the wrong way around. Double :banghead: 

Retainer bolt was loose. Thought to myself “that was lucky!”. Went to the RHS to swap the pads and the retainer bolt was MISSING. Not happy. 

Found a new bolt. All is good. No noises now :D 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1