Ultimate Subaru Message Board

L series touring wagon roof racks

just wondering if anyone knows which roof racks fit an l series with the rubber/chrome trim along the gutter? It seems like it would be in the way or gutter mount roof racks? Would I need to remove the trim? I know i can use the roof racks that mount in a rail fitted to the roof but they're too hard to find or expensive. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Raynman1989 said:

just wondering if anyone knows which roof racks fit an l series with the rubber/chrome trim along the gutter? It seems like it would be in the way or gutter mount roof racks? Would I need to remove the trim? I know i can use the roof racks that mount in a rail fitted to the roof but they're too hard to find or expensive. 

I just used standard height racks that are high enough to fit over the touring roof. Had to redrill the outer brackets slightly to make them long enough to fit over the trim but works fine. Have had 5 sets of skis and two kayaks up there at various times. 

I have them mounted fairly far forward, reason being so that I can still open the boot with skis or kayak on the roof. Also means the front rack sits over the low part of the roof. Pretty sure my racks are 150 mm high on the sides, and the mounts are just standard gutter design.

The brand is "wildcat" - it's a 1.3 m wide new old stock 1980s roof rack for gutter mount I bought off a guy who used to own a Supercheap Auto and was clearing leftover parts out of his garage.

xkbqJLO.jpg 

Edited by KiwiGL
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 6:25 PM, KiwiGL said:

I just used standard height racks that are high enough to fit over the touring roof. Had to redrill the outer brackets slightly to make them long enough to fit over the trim but works fine. Have had 5 sets of skis and two kayaks up there at various times. 

I have them mounted fairly far forward, reason being so that I can still open the boot with skis or kayak on the roof. Also means the front rack sits over the low part of the roof. Pretty sure my racks are 150 mm high on the sides, and the mounts are just standard gutter design.

The brand is "wildcat" - it's a 1.3 m wide new old stock 1980s roof rack for gutter mount I bought off a guy who used to own a Supercheap Auto and was clearing leftover parts out of his garage.

xkbqJLO.jpg 

So you reckon standard gutter mounts will work? Not worried about height as I'm fitting them over the low part of the roof for a possible tyre and spotlight mount. Any chance to have a close up pic of yours mounted to the gutter?

5 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

They use normal gutter clamps, I've used Yakima 1A mounts in the past with no problem.

With the rubber trim on the gutter? From what I can tell standard metal clamp gutter mounts would clamp onto the trim not the gutter, weather damaging it and/or having a weak mount 

I mounted Yakima 1A mounts on my EA82s (and XT6s) with the trim installed a couple times, had to pull the trim out a bit to get the rack mount behind it, and then the clamp went down over the top of it. I didn't love it, so I pulled the trim off on some of them (XT6s for sure).