Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 oil pump , how do they die?

Here in Australia we cannot understand the US needs for oil pumps. Every rebuild I do is devoted, new slugs, bearings and head service

The oil pump gets a once over visually, a clean up and run the feeler gauge against manual specs.

Here are pics of one of mine, it is yet to be spec'd , has some minor scuff marks where the mating faces are but alloy housings are nice.

I had no oil pressure gauge on this engine but maintained oil pressure idiot light sender units so things worked as expected.

Weighs 780 grams. Am thinking of listing on ebay

Show us your knackered oil pumps ??

15904543591441347786787.jpg

1590454410713-582625133.jpg

15904544505152095229089.jpg

Edited by Step-a-toe

5 hours ago, DaveT said:

I haven't seen one fail.  Been driving Subarus since the early 1980s.
If you are too aggressive with removal efforts, they can break.  Usually, they just need new seals and orings. 

And the EA82 oil pumps? How do you guys burn through those too? 

I’ve got a few of those kicking around that I’ll never use... all from good working engines.

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

They push oil into the filter. So they pump unfiltered oil and whatever other trash, carbon, etc is in there with it. Usually the shafts on either end of the drive georotor get destroyed by abrasive particulate embedded in the aluminum housing. I lost an EA1 back in the day due to an oil pump that was bad - I resealed it and that was just enough to turn off the light (digital dash car) and a few thousand later it ventilated the block on the freeway. I had pictures of oil pump damage decades ago. Don't know where they are now. Trust me if you haven't seen a bad one then you just haven't seen enough of them. I've seen plenty that were garbage. 

GD

Yep, OK , I can imagine the crud getting caught up.

Probably only run ten Subie engines in over 20 years and each one has had sump off clean up and reseal, manifolds off and decoked, PCV hoses cleaned out or replaced, new PCV valve and rocker cover breathers all cleaned up for future reliability as far as cleanliness goes.

Only one of these and eight or so other engines were tidy and it had 20 years of Subaru service records !

The rest arrived as black filth clad crud, little sign of any regular maintenance at all, nearly every one with original looking ignition components including consumables

Worst of all had about an inch thick of a specially formulated particle trap in the bottom of the sump :)