Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mid 80s engine bay, has anyone tried to hide all the wiring?

Absolutely not.  That is one of the things I hate about newer cars!  You can't get at anything without a load of extra work!  Added some extra lights to my wife's 09, what a PITA trying to get power, add a switch.

Someone probably has. And from what I've seen on show cars with tucked wiring..... 50/50 chance it even ran when they were done. Totally stupid. Cars like that don't get driven. They get rolled off a trailer and rolled back on. Because driving them with the fuse box in the wheel well wrapped in 3 rolls of duct tape and with the wipers, door handles, and that ugly firewall "shaved" they aren't practical and are unreliable $hit heaps. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Haha 2

I am presently in the process of accessory wiring clean-up and will add periodic updates. All I am focusing on are the numerous wires for fog lamps, added relays for headlamps, added door locks, aftermarket stereos/subs, relays for horns. The only original wiring issue I see is associated with the dealer added AC. This too, you can carefully organize a bit better. Other than this, there are no real issues with the organization of the original wiring and No rerouting necessary.

Accessory Wiring Clean-Up With Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block

Conduit and wire loom tape is about as good as it gets with these things. Keep it tidy from the start and it will look good. 

Trying to conceal it all will bring up other issues and will no doubt require extensions to the loom. This could spell trouble as GD eludes to. 

Cheers 

Bennie