Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Camshaft "jumping" after timing belt replacement

So I am sure I screwed something up I just need some help figuring it out.  I had to replace the water pump on my 85 GL sedan.  While I was there I replaced the timing belts and tensioners.  I fired it up after putting it back together and there was a clicking sound coming from the pass. side valve cover.  Lovey.  Shut it down after a few seconds.  So I took the cover off and when I turn the motor over with a breaker bar, it almost looks like the camshaft "jumps" when whichever lobe is currently opening a valve begins to close the valve.  That is when the clicking sound happens.  First question is, does it sound like I broke something?  Second, What steps would you experts out there take to further diagnose what I may have screwed up?

1 hour ago, Numbchux said:

Sounds like the belt is not tight enough. It shouldn't be able to move noticeably.

I can't see the belt moving because it is all back together.  I can watch the cam with the valve cover off and that is where I can watch the lobe pass the high point and then hear the click.  I have not taken everything back apart to look at the belt(s) since I wanted to get advice before I cause a bigger problem.

1 hour ago, Step-a-toe said:

Have you successfully done EA82 timing belts before?

Nope.  However I have never done one unsuccessfully before until now which is why I am asking for the advice of those who have more experience.

The good news is that it is a non-interference engine, the valves cannot hit the pistons, so no major damage.

Take the cover off that side, and see what's happening.  Sounds like the belt is too loose.

I found that after I put the belts on, it is good to run the engine for 10 seconds, before completely re assembling everything.  Then repeat the tensioner adjustment, as if you just installed them.  This lets them walk and settle to where they are going to run.  I almost always get more slack out of them.

Yeah, that could do it also.   Definitely a thing to check.  You just need to take the outer wing covers off, not the entire thing.   After seeing a number of members running these without the covers, for years, with no trouble, I stopped putting the front ones on.  This has saved me trouble - I heard an idler bearing beginning to fail, when I never would have with the covers on.  

14 hours ago, DaveT said:

The good news is that it is a non-interference engine, the valves cannot hit the pistons, so no major damage.

Take the cover off that side, and see what's happening.  Sounds like the belt is too loose.

I found that after I put the belts on, it is good to run the engine for 10 seconds, before completely re assembling everything.  Then repeat the tensioner adjustment, as if you just installed them.  This lets them walk and settle to where they are going to run.  I almost always get more slack out of them.

Exactly the problem.  I did such a bad job here that neither of the tensioners were even tightened down!

13 hours ago, el_freddo said:

It could be the three cam wheel retainer bolts are too loose. 

I had this one time and those three holes ovalled out in no time flat! 

Hopefully the bolts are ok and not damaged. 

Cheers 

Bennie

This was also a problem.  Although the bolts were not finger loose, I did get a good turn and a half out of them on one side.  Bolts appeared to be in good shape.  Runs smoothly now.  

Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate the great responses.

• Like 2