Ultimate Subaru Message Board

when i turn my car off it shutters

If the engine is deiseling (still trying to run after being shut down), it could be a problem with the anti-deiseling solenoid on the carb. Could also be an indication that the engine is running too hot, or the timing is off. Weber's do not have anti-deiseling solenoids, and with proper tuning can be made to run without deiseling except in the hottest weather..... a good cooling system, and proper timing is key.

If it's just vibration, have a look at the engine mounts - the rubber int them is pretty thick, and they don't usually go bad, but one could be loose.....

GD

EDIT: take general disorder's anti dieseling solenoid first, i forgot about that!

dieseling is when the car seems to keep running for a few strokes after you cut the power, and it sounds like what you're describing. it's caused by something causing the remaining fuel/air mixture to keep burning after the ignition system is shut down. sometimes it can be caused by carbon deposits in the cylinders, which store heat and can cause the dieseling; or it can be caused by timing issues although i don't know much about solving that.

since your car will be carbed, you can try getting a can of seafoam and treating the cylinders with that.. run the car for like a minute when cold, to get the cylinders slightly warmed up, then pull the spark plugs out and inject a few oz. of seafoam into each cylinder, then rotate the crank pulley nut (22mm) clockwise for a few minutes to work the pistons and the seafoam up and down.

after reinstalling the spark plugs, start the car (and don't worry about all the new white smoke, it's from the seafoam) and dribble some seafoam through the carburetor and through the brake booster vacuum line (instructions on the can).

some people will dribble water into their carburetors, which will turn to steam during combustion, to steam clean the cylinders. too much water will take up too much space in the cylinders and catastrophically increase compression, and ruin a rod or valve or something. if you choose to use water, run the engine for a while afterward to make sure it all gets boiled off.

you could also check the distributor timing but my bet is cylinder carbon deposits. if your car is an auto, shutting it off in gear will prevent the symptom of dieseling as the drivetrain will still be carrying a load and it will be too much for the afterignition to occur. good luck.

just in case

All 1981s throught 1984

MT 700rpm

AT 800

1985s

DL Model

4 spd- 650rpm

5 spd- 700rpm

GL Model

MT - 700rpm

AT - 800rpm

ALL TURBOs