Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 1988 where is the flasher relay?

1 hour ago, idosubaru said:

There’s a rack of relays above the fuse box down below the drivers left foot.  Check those? All the relays there are the same, swap one one to test.

Or it’s under the ask tray, I’m forgetting.

The fuse box is just fuses and is fine. Underneath everything is just wiring. The ashtray thing has a blue box.

12 minutes ago, xXArchusXx said:

This thing?

IMG_20201009_173754.jpg

Yes I think that’s it.  The photo is so close I can’t see any reference points but that appears to be a stack of relays.  it’s down in the drivers footwell looking up.  I’m not positive the relay you need is there but I think it might be. 

how positive are you that the relay is the problem?  It’s fairly common for people to ask where a part is only to find out later that it wasn’t the issue.  

14 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

Yes I think that’s it.  The photo is so close I can’t see any reference points but that appears to be a stack of relays.  it’s down in the drivers footwell looking up.  I’m not positive the relay you need is there but I think it might be. 

how positive are you that the relay is the problem?  It’s fairly common for people to ask where a part is only to find out later that it wasn’t the issue.  

The lights turn on when u use turn signal doesn't flash and the hazards don't flash. It is 32 year old car after all. Where can I get a diagram for the fuses?

18 hours ago, idosubaru said:

The pic is to the left of the brake pedal USDM. What else could it be? Unplugged each thing one at a time and the hazards still worked.

On 10/10/2020 at 3:43 PM, xXArchusXx said:

The pic is to the left of the brake pedal USDM. What else could it be? Unplugged each thing one at a time and the hazards still worked.

“the hazzards still worked”. I’m not being a troll - trying to clear up exactly what to look for. 

The hazzard (and blinker) lights are coming on but not flashing?

If that’s the case, I would check the bulbs and sockets for corrosion. Even a working bulb can rarely cause issues with wiring, dash lights, and control button/switch functionality as it changes the current and resistance of the circuit.

I’m traveling and can’t turn on my laptop to look up the hazzard wiring (relay or timer?) specifics.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:26 AM, idosubaru said:

“the hazzards still worked”. I’m not being a troll - trying to clear up exactly what to look for. 

The hazzard (and blinker) lights are coming on but not flashing?

If that’s the case, I would check the bulbs and sockets for corrosion. Even a working bulb can rarely cause issues with wiring, dash lights, and control button/switch functionality as it changes the current and resistance of the circuit.

I’m traveling and can’t turn on my laptop to look up the hazzard wiring (relay or timer?) specifics.

• 2 years later...

Old thread but I have been dealing with this EXACT problem on my 1989 Subaru XT6. The turn signals come on but they do not flash.  It's just a solid light inside and outside of the car.  However, you can hear it sounding like a really fast flash, inside the car.   It's almost a constant sound rather than a tick, tick (Sounds turn signals make when they are flashing on and off).  

Here's a link to a video I made it on Facebook (if the link works), under Kevin Thomas   XT6 Turn Signal problem

i think the system does what you describe when one or more of the bulbs ( outside ones) has an issue, bad connection or burned filament. i'd start with a close check of them first, especially if it started suddenly, and had been working ok.