Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fan clutch for EA81 turbo.

My ea81 turbo wagon fan clutch is starting to fail. I try online and it seems like it never exist. I only find the electric fan. Also on my service manual it will not show the mechanical clutch fan. Anybody know of a compatible fan clutch or should I upgrade to a electric fan.

20201111_180543_copy_1377x2448.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2020 at 10:57 AM, turbodog said:

ive had a couple water pumps taken out by the clutched fan,  went to electric only and never looked back

How does that work?? 

@oczuk32 - what’s wrong with your mechanical fan? Are they a viscous unit? If so you might be able to replace the fluid inside it for some fresh stuff that should make a difference. 

I know the guys over here replace the fluid in their Monteros (I think that’s what they’re called over there. They’re known as a Pajero over here and also a Shogun elsewhere). 

Cheers 

Bennie

I think I have have some of those. fans....

Mine being an EA82. Non turb...

It is the same mechanical fan, correct?

I didn't even run them..... took them out at some point....

just used electric.

Let me know... I will look for them...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, el_freddo said:

How does that work?? 

@oczuk32 - what’s wrong with your mechanical fan? Are they a viscous unit? If so you might be able to replace the fluid inside it for some fresh stuff that should make a difference. 

I know the guys over here replace the fluid in their Monteros (I think that’s what they’re called over there. They’re known as a Pajero over here and also a Shogun elsewhere). 

Cheers 

Bennie

So let me explain why its not so great for the water pump.   when the clutch starts to grab due to seizing or from age and whatever other reason the fan starts to spin at the same speed as the pump for extended periods of time and unless the fan is balanced perfectly (usually not) the water pumps internal bearings will see that and start to wear,  also needing the belt to be tighter so it wont slip plus the force its pulling on the shaft forward at high revs.   the benefit to them over the electric fan hardly justifies the extra wear on the water pump. being turbo should warrant having a higher CFM electric fan anyways

Edited by turbodog
spelling
  • Like 2