Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Major oil leak has me stumped

5 hours ago, Rampage said:

On November 19 I posted a pdf file for the outer cover. Here is the Inner cover. Bolt length, location and torque sequence.

Rear Chain Cover.pdf

Got it.  Took a while to learn how to open that pdf.  Thank you very much.  My stress level went down several magnitudes. 

Yesterday I just went out in the woods and cut a cord or slightly more of firewood just to get away from that car for a few hours.  

Edited by john in KY

1 hour ago, john in KY said:

Took a while to learn how to open that pdf.

If you ever have a problem like that again, say something and I or someone will gladly help you through it. I've been working on computers since the beginning of personal computers (before DOS).

2 hours ago, john in KY said:

just to get away from that car for a few hours.

That happens to me too. Walk away and think about it, then come back and fix it.

• Thanks 1

Congrats John and it's great to have helpful. experienced and knowledgeable members on here to help. Although I hope I never have a situation like this I find these threads very interesting to read, or for reference. That's quite a job that would be beyond my and many other's abilities.

Great posts by those who helped with advice and files. I can relate to firewood splitting to divert from a project. Great pictures of the cats! I also have several.

Speaking of the H6 - has it in fact been retired from production? I assume the 2.4L turbo is it's replacement. There were a couple of other discussions on different sites where disappointment was expressed about the rumor (at the time) of the H6 being retired. I usually hear very good things about that engine.

I can't speak badly about the 3.0.  I checked the PCV valve and it was completely clogged. I wonder if that caused that one O ring fail?  Taking everything apart is not the end of the world but keeping track of all the bolts and not knowing the torque sequence and settings had me chain smoking.  I have a thing for cats. Once had 30 when I rented a farm house.  I bought cat food in 50 pound sacks.  Guy at the feed mill thought I was raising cats. Currently we have one cat but I feed 2 at the local nursing home, one that shows up most nights and 4 to 6 at the garage where I worked on the car.  I just like animals.  Probably being raised on a dairy farm explains why.  Most folks find the smell of an old cow barn or horse stable offensive but those smells just take me back in time.  My grandfather actually farmed with 2 horses.  Never owned a tractor or vehicle. Tough old bird.  But enough of this.

As for cutting firewood, haven't used it in 30 years.  Just sell it which keeps me in chainsaws.  Have  6 currently. Just bought an old Still 045.  75 cc.  Replaced the short bar with  a 28 inch bar and will see how it cuts tomorrow.  Those oak trees don't have prayer.

92883A8D-920D-42F4-9F7C-FD5D73527CF1.jpeg

CEA7AD6C-C064-4B50-8F6D-CD8BFCA8C68D.jpeg

Edited by john in KY

Wow! I scrolled down and first thought I was on the Hearth.com site! Damn that's impressive, those are good sized rounds. Oak is great to burn, had a tree in the front yard taken down last year Asked the tree co. to leave bigger pieces and cut them to about 20" which will fit in my wood stove. If lived near you. I'd buy some! Stihl is a great brand. My Husqvarna is ok, just hard to start. Cool liking cats and animals. All the splitting I do (I assume you too) is without a gas powered log splitter. Can't afford one now anyway due to working part time due to Covid19. 

Due to the fact (I think) the H6 won't be available anymore that's great you fixed yours. If I disassembled a cover with many bolts I initially would not have assumed there's different lengths that have specific positions. The biggest job I've ever done on a Subaru was replacing the radiator in my 1985 GL wagon. Since it was a manual transmission it didn't have transmission cooling lines like my Silverado did. I wonder why Subaru never offered the 5EAT with the 2.5L? Maybe cost? I think the 4EAT is ok, just seemed to downshift too often, at the slightest grade. 

On 11/30/2020 at 5:54 PM, Rampage said:

If you ever have a problem like that again, say something and I or someone will gladly help you through it. I've been working on computers since the beginning of personal computers (before DOS).

I learned Basic with a Radio Shack computer, I think it was called a CoCo - meaning color computer. I think it was conventional DOS, or maybe Tandy's version. Didn't come with a monitor, it would transmit on channel 3 or 4 to a TV and use cassette tape recorders for data.

Thankfully it's much easier these days to do research, download manuals and exchange information about these vehicles. I did have a 300 baud modem with the Radio Shack computer. Back then any forum was typically called a BBS - Bulletin Board System. I may still have a JC Whitney repair manual for the Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyagers I used to have. 

Edited by Stelcom66

On 11/30/2020 at 3:27 PM, john in KY said:

Got it.  Took a while to learn how to open that pdf.  Thank you very much.  My stress level went down several magnitudes. 

Yesterday I just went out in the woods and cut a cord or slightly more of firewood just to get away from that car for a few hours

those are huge oaks. I have gas and also a small electric that I use all the time to avoid the big scary gas ones if I can!  Although maybe like knives a better saw actually is better for safety in some ways. 

2 hours ago, Stelcom66 said:

it would transmit on channel 3 or 4 to a TV and use cassette tape recorders for data.

My first was a Timex Sinclair T1000. It used a TV and cassette recorder. Then came the 8080, 8086 and many more. 10in. floppy disks. IBM DOS then MS DOS and MS Windows 1, 2, 3 and 3.11 and more. Windows 2000 was my favorite for a long time, then Windows 7 Ultimate. Did you know the Space Station used 386's for many years?

15 hours ago, john in KY said:

As for cutting firewood

Around 30 years ago I cut down a maple tree about 50in. diameter 8ft. from the in-laws house and power lines. That was a job. My wife and I could not touch hands around it. Pop saved some slabs to make tables and limbs to make table legs.

I rarely ever cut standing trees anymore.  Had a few close calls and decided the heck with that.  That white oak in the photo came from an old estate in town. House/mansion was built in I believe 1803 and my guess is that white oak, rare around here, was at least 200 years old.  The butt log is still there.  Probably 8 feet in diameter and none of my saws could touch it and what would I do with rounds that big?  

A pro level chainsaw will last most folks a lifetime.  I still use a Sachs Dolmar 117 I bought in 1986 that has cut around 200 cords of firewood.  If I ever run across a Sachs 133, I'm buying it. 

5 hours ago, Rampage said:

My first was a Timex Sinclair T1000. It used a TV and cassette recorder. Then came the 8080, 8086 and many more. 10in. floppy disks. IBM DOS then MS DOS and MS Windows 1, 2, 3 and 3.11 and more. Windows 2000 was my favorite for a long time, then Windows 7 Ultimate. Did you know the Space Station used 386's for many years?

Around 30 years ago I cut down a maple tree about 50in. diameter 8ft. from the in-laws house and power lines. That was a job. My wife and I could not touch hands around it. Pop saved some slabs to make tables and limbs to make table legs.

Jeez I don't think I ever heard of the Timex! And 10" floppy disks - I used 8" routinely in the phone systems I serviced in the 80s & 90s but never heard of 10". I didn't realize the space station used that processor. 

As for the tree - the most I split was maybe 24" around, I can't imagine double that! I have several different wedges for the larger diameter rounds. I used a 4x6 trailer with my Forester for several years to haul firewood. When one of my sons moved out along with his pickup truck I then had room for a truck of my own. I just got some nice maple rounds from him - small of course since I had to put them in my trunk.

Subaru & trailer.JPG

I wish there was a way to specify the size of a photo - didn't mean to take up so much space.

Edited by Stelcom66

6 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

cut a slim round or 2, mark the year of removal on them. Kids can use them for a 'dendrochronology' science fair experiment in school, count back to the Gulf War, their own birthday, or the first rover on Mars, etc.

I'll admit I had to look up dendrochronology - but assumed correctly it had to do with rings of a cut tree. One of the reasons I'd like to have a Forester or Outback again is to be able to pick up small amounts of trees without having to cut them first to fit in a trunk. I have an old Silverado but currently just have comprehensive insurance on it to save some money. Because of Covid19 business has slowed and I'm working part time. I picked up some pieces at my son's house recently with my Honda Accord, but there's just so much you can fit. Of course with a Forester or Outback there's a weight limit to consider too. The other plus with those vehicles is AWD - which the Honda doesn't have. It's not just for snow - I've spun the wheels of my truck in grass, dirt and mud while in 2WD.

2 hours ago, Stelcom66 said:

Jeez I don't think I ever heard of the Timex!

Type Timex Sinclair T1000 into Google. There are a few of them around. The first Hard Disk Drive I worked with was a box with several 14in. disks in it. Can't remember how many bytes of data it would store. Probably around 3 Meg.

used to load test programs from an ASR 33 tape reader into an Raytheon RDS-500. First models had mag toroidal memory. Occasionally fixed them by changing sense amplifiers.

I remember bulletin board services. First video I watched from the net took 20 minutes to load, was displayed about the size of a half-dollar. It was 'crab vs pipe' (still around-try youtube)

"The only thing more terrifying than a technician with a slide rule, is an engineer with a soldering iron."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

cut a slim round or 2, mark the year of removal on them. 

what does that mean?  

we have an oak on our property that three grown adults can't even come close to reaching their arms around.  i'm seeing if a forestry friend who works for the Feds can let me borrow a boring tool to age it. 

19 hours ago, Rampage said:

Did you know the Space Station used 386's for many years?

That's awesome.  I was surprised how often tapes were mentioned regarding spacecraft. I didn't realize for a long time how quickly space craft went from tapes to SSR, skipping right over platters, flash drives and other forms of computer memory which were the standard for personal PC's for decades.  Spacecraft were the reason SSR was developed and refined. Now it's been 20 years of solid state recorders with slick read and write manipulation, ability to isolate problematic areas and retain full functionality.  And they're now available in home devices. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 7:14 AM, idosubaru said:

what does that mean?  

we have an oak on our property that three grown adults can't even come close to reaching their arms around.  i'm seeing if a forestry friend who works for the Feds can let me borrow a boring tool to age it. 

Well, suppose you had a 1 year-old child now, assuming the tree was alive or, very recently dead, if you didn't mark or rememebr the year it was cut down, you would 'off' a few years when the the child needed a science fair project in 3rd grade or w'ever. So, if you cut a tree down tomorrow, just put a piece of masking tape on it with 'cut in 2020' or similar on it. Or, you already have one sitting around and you KNOW you cut in down 3 years ago, mark it 2017 before you forget.

then, when the child starts counting rings backwards , they would be 'in sync'. Might even be able to correlate wide or narrow rings with documented local flooding or drought records as a double check.

If your oak were dead, and you did not know for certain when it died, local records for drought years could help align the tree rings with calendar years.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Thanks 1

Tapes I think were short lived because they're relatively unreliable. Old PBX phone systems would use cassette or DATs Digital Audio Tapes for data and operating system backups and restore.. I know from experience not dependable media. Didn't some cars have hard drives to store music? It was rare and didn't last long as a media option. The next music player I buy likely won't have a CD player, just a slot for an SD card. They're actually relatively inexpensive due to no optical player - and no moving parts. 

I'll look up that old computer relic.

Edited by Stelcom66