Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil on plug threads (EJ22 phase 1 engine)

Hi guys. I've been stymied by the presence of oil on the lower half of the threads on each of my spark plugs except #4; that one only had a little bit. I've got a '92 Legacy wagon with only 72,000 miles on it. I regularly keep up with the maintenance, but I don't know how it was maintained before I purchased it two years ago. It never has oil on the tip of the plug or near the ceramic part, only on the bottom half of the threads. I've got a phase 1 EJ22, so the plugs don't go through the valve covers. Any thoughts? Is this a bad sign?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, nipper said:

The spark plug bucket seals are leaking. You may as well replace the valve cover gaskets too. Its a common issue. Rubber parts dont care about mileage. They are almost 30 years old.

Hmm. I replaced the valve cover gaskets this time last year; could I just open up the valve covers again and reuse the same gaskets when I replace these bucket seals? Never heard of those.

20 hours ago, nipper said:

They should have been done all at once. I would say no, get a complete kit, brand name. They probably have taken a set by now. ALso if your wires are wet your going to need new wires.

I'm looking on Rock Auto for the valve cover gaskets, but I can't seem to find these seals you are referring to. Any thoughts?

Check out the Apex with grommets. They are blue. I have found the blue ones stay soft longer than the black ones. The black ones get hard in about two years (65k miles) on our 95 EJ22. I have to pry them out in pieces. The blue ones pull right out, still soft. Of course it also depends on how hot the engine runs. The hotter they get, the harder they get.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,1992,legacy,2.2l+h4,1269558,engine,valve+cover+gasket,10710