Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crank Seal surface Damage - Polish or Sleeve

Why do guys use crappy parts and over torque everything.

Friend picked up a 99 Forester out in Portland OR.

Fellow did the headgaskets....  

It was leaking oil like a watering can.  Oil everywhere.

I washed it, pulled the timing covers and started it up.  Oil running down the oil pump.  When I pulled it the seal was hard as a rock and broken in a few parts.  The spring was on the crank.

image.png.b79333479b0ada5365ff08d672a0b940.png

Used a bit of scotchbright to clean it up.  As you can see it there.  I could try to move the seal, but there's not lot of room to do that.  

Thanks,

Larry

Can you feel any of it with your fingers?

Towed or drive it all the way from Oregon leaking that bad?

Hate to waste time on a guess, but I’d install a new Subaru seal and see if it holds. They can handle some visible surface scuffing. And a good chance the hardened, ancient (aftermarket?) seal caused the leak rather than the crank surface. I’d be more surprised if it leaked than if it didn’t...but im assuming it’s not worse than the ones I’ve seen with scratchy surfaces.and I’m sure that’s possible.

Use a Subaru OEM seal....hahaha. I know you wouldn’t use anything else!

She has been driving it for over 2 years.  Leaking like crazy.  She had the oil changed two weeks ago and today it was no oil on the dip stick when I checked it.  Not good.

Yes Subaru Seals, cam and crank.  It's the middle surface in the picture where the seal sits.  

My next problem is getting the last two cam sprockets off.  I hate DOHC engines.  I do not have to tool to hold them.  Most of the time I can use an old timing belt to lock them in place and get the bolts to loosen with a breaker bar.  This guy over torqued everything!  Having a hard time getting them.  He used some aftermarket black cam and crank seals and put some sort of sealant around the outside.  Crap work for sure!  I wish she would have went to GD for a Subaru or waited until I could inspect it for her.  So it goes.  I'll get her back on the road.

A peripheral comment, but take EXTREME CARE when using Scotchbrite anywhere near an engine and prepare to be absolutely scrupulous about cleaning afterward.   The risk is the aluminum oxide particles that are bound into the plastic getting into places (like bearings) where you'd rather not have incredibly destructive abrasives.  When I got a bunch of samples (for non-automotive use) from the local 3M rep last summer they included a number of warning sheets about it.

2 hours ago, lmdew said:

She has been driving it for over 2 years.  Leaking like crazy.  She had the oil changed two weeks ago and today it was no oil on the dip stick when I checked it.  Not good.

Yes Subaru Seals, cam and crank.  It's the middle surface in the picture where the seal sits.  

My next problem is getting the last two cam sprockets off.  I hate DOHC engines.  I do not have to tool to hold them.  Most of the time I can use an old timing belt to lock them in place and get the bolts to loosen with a breaker bar.  This guy over torqued everything!  Having a hard time getting them.  He used some aftermarket black cam and crank seals and put some sort of sealant around the outside.  Crap work for sure!  I wish she would have went to GD for a Subaru or waited until I could inspect it for her.  So it goes.  I'll get her back on the road.

Hope you get those cams knocked off. Those sound nasty. The goof probably locktited  them.  I’m sure you know this snd I’ve never had to use them, but there’s supposed to be a flat spot to hold with a wrench on the camshafts if you pull the VCs. 

12 hours ago, idosubaru said:

........  I’m sure you know this snd I’ve never had to use them, but there’s supposed to be a flat spot to hold with a wrench on the camshafts if you pull the VCs. .......

+1.

There is. IIRC 24mm or 1" .

O.

I cut a used Subaru Timing belt and wrapped it around the cam gear 1 3/4 times and took the other end to the crankshaft  and looped it around so the teeth of the belt locked together with a vise grips as a clamp.  I had to cut 4 teeth off the belt so it would slip between the cam gears but that was easy and no harm.  Worked like a champ to break them loose and lock them to torque the bolt to 58 ft lbs.  All of the old seals were junk, but came out with ease as they were a little undersized.  The fellow used sealant to hold them in.  Silly.  I cleaned everything up and installed Subaru seals.  Hope to have it back together and leak checked today.  The crank shaft polished out well, I think it will be fine.  Oil pump bolts and seal taken care of as well.

• Like 1

image.png.aa84af986d2182140ac5ebb10e7c31ac.png

I cut a used Subaru Timing belt and wrapped it around the cam gear 1 3/4 times and took the other end to the crankshaft  and looped it around so the teeth of the belt locked together with a vise grips as a clamp.  I had to cut 4 teeth off the belt so it would slip between the cam gears but that was easy and no harm.  Worked like a champ to break them loose and lock them to torque the bolt to 58 ft lbs.

• 2 months later...

Did an oil change yesterday and the engine up front is dry as can be.  Sweet.

Little oil from the passenger valve cover and I think the rear breather plate.  All good to go and using much less oil.

• Like 5

That's a 98 if it's a dual cam. 

The seal surface looks serviceable with a properly installed Viton seal. 

One thing to note in the future - since the cam sprockets are plastic we have seen a number of them catastrophically fail due to age and since they have to be held by the plastic to torque the bolt.... this can lead to unseen stress fractures that lead to failure months or years down the road. We have had two such failures - one on a 99 Outback (25D) and one on a 2009 Forester - both resulted in bent valves. 

Unfortunately I'm told we just purchased the last set of 25D sprockets in the US for a Gyro-copter engine we are building at the moment..... not good for the future serviceability of those heads. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Yes, I suspected the engine was changed at some point.  I was surprised to see the DOHC, but she had already purchased the Forester.

It got her from OR to CO and has been a pretty good Subaru for her with some TLC.

Larry

8 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Unfortunately I'm told we just purchased the last set of 25D sprockets in the US 

Does that always mean they’re NLA forever?  I’ve purchased some of the “last Subaru part in the US”, only to see them available later. I take that to mean sometimes current US supply is zero and more will be coming.

• Like 1

Subaru may or may not attempt to order more from Japan. And that order may or may not be fulfilled. Depends on how many orders are outstanding and what the recent sales history is - as well as stocking levels in Japan and ability/desire to produce additional inventory. It's basically an unknown to us mere mortals. Maybe. Maybe not. 

GD