Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 90 Legacy going on 340k that's running super rough

Can a 95 2.2 engine swap out with the 90 2.2 with no issues as far as the computer is concerned?

I'm afraid the 90 won't pull two mountain passes in order to get it home. It's 300 miles away so I can't work on it in my spare time. But I have a spare 95 engine. 

The car feels like its missing. Maybe a slipped tooth on the timing belt. Ill check that on my next trip over. HG's changed at 300k, but was unable to dress the heads when i did it.

If I can't get it to run smooth, the swap is next. I don't have a tow rig. 

This is my first Subaru. I sold it years ago and bought it back. Now it's my fifth subaru as well. I guess it gets two badges on it. 

Thanks

Edited by StephenA
Spelling

Yes - with a few caveats.  Bolt the 90 intake manifold onto the 95 engine. 

95 auto has EGR, 95 manual does not.   If your current car has EGR and the 95 doesn't then you'll need to decide what to do: 
1. ignore it and deal with the check engine light
2. swap 90 drivers side head onto 95 block (this seems unlikely due to constraits and mileage)
3. work around the EGR issue - drill and tap the 95 to receive the EGR or plumb a work around.  

4 hours ago, StephenA said:

Both engines are manual. So it still needs the intake swapped? Thats easy anyway.

Yes swap intakes.  The intakes themselves are the same - it's the wiring and hosing that differs.  Simpler to just swap intakes than it is to swap wiring harnesses and hoses/ports. 

Auto/manual isn't a differentiating factor here - EGR and electronics are.  It just so happens that in 1995 auto's have EGR and manuals do not so that's the easier way to reference them. Otherwise auto/manual EJ22's are the same.

But if the current running issue is due to a sensor (TPS, CTS, idle control, injector, coil pack)....then you'll be installing that same bad part on your new engine.  So it would be wise to diagnose first, as lmdew is suggesting above. 

4 hours ago, StephenA said:

The OBD1 vs OBDII hijinx. I can deal with CEL if needed. 

You won't have a CEL due to OBD differences - you're swapping the earlier intake onto the 95 so the car.  That has all the electronics or "OBD-ness" on it. Not the block, the ECU can't "see" the mechanical parts, just electronics.  Since you're swapping all the electronics onto the new engine it wont' "know" the difference. 

On 9/2/2021 at 9:15 PM, idosubaru said:

You won't have a CEL due to OBD differences - you're swapping the earlier intake onto the 95 so the car.  That has all the electronics or "OBD-ness" on it. Not the block, the ECU can't "see" the mechanical parts, just electronics.  Since you're swapping all the electronics onto the new engine it wont' "know" the difference. 

Every EFI system has a CEL. And OBDII can still have codes read through the CEL. I do this on my sister’s Gen3 Liberty/Legacy all the time, works a treat if you don’t have a scanner.

Cheers 

Bennie

In the middle of an EGR port drill and tap in another post if you’re curious to that method. A little slow but this week I’ll be getting that done. 

Pretty much unbolt the old intake and place it up by the windshield area - just suspend it with some wood or ? And then it’s out of the way. You can then lift the engine out , drop in the 95 (less it’s intake of course) , and bolt the intake down to your newer engine. 

Replace any hoses under the intake and inspect the metal tubes as well for rust which would create pinholes. 

Common practice. 

9 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Every EFI system has a CEL. And OBDII can still have codes read through the CEL. I do this on my sister’s Gen3 Liberty/Legacy all the time, works a treat if you don’t have a scanner.

Cheers 

Bennie

Haha. Sneaky Double meaning.  That’s not what I meant. I meant that this swap won’t result in the CEL coming on. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Haha. Sneaky Double meaning.  That’s not what I meant. I meant that this swap won’t result in the CEL coming on. 

Ah yeah, Roger that! 

I was a bit miffed that you wouldn’t know about the CEL in the OBDII! It all makes sense now! 

Continue! :P 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...

This last weekend I tried to start the car. I had left the key with the guy who owns the property its parked on. So.... not the key is gone. sigh.

I found an old keyring with the original, very worn key. I'll have my friend try starting it as Its located 300 miles away, so I cant just pop over to work on it. Hopefully he doesn't lose this key.

So thank you all for the great advice. I like the idea of leaving the intake attached and dropping in the replacement block. There is a tractor with a bucket on site that will make lifting it out a breeze. Of course, its going to be a month before I can get back there again. I just hope it doesn't snow.

I swear to dog, I'm about ready to program up an Arduino to read the codes and output it to OLED display. Cant be that hard.

-Stephen