Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Look at the window height! I guess we're being groomed for a future where you only see a video screen with an image of your surroundings - no windows at all?

Probably feels like sitting in a HUMVEE, or a bathtub when you were 5 years old.

But, I see no reason an auto maker shouldn’t chase the E vehicle market. They will probably sell well in Norway and California.

wasn't there an E Subaru in Japan in the past? like a Kei car or an electric Rex (not WRX)

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

14 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

Look at the window height! I guess we're being groomed for a future where you only see a video screen with an image of your surroundings - no windows at all?

Probably feels like sitting in a HUMVEE, or a bathtub when you were 5 years old.

But, I see no reason an auto maker shouldn’t chase the E vehicle market. They will probably sell well in Norway and California.

Iceland - really cheap electricity. 

HUMVEE's have good visibility compared to MRAP's. More armor means smaller windows and lots of cameras. 

But as far as electric vehicles go - I'll never own or work on them - or probably anything made after 2004. Complexity is the enemy of reliability. Add to that the lack of right to repair and the intellectual property concerns of modern manufacturing, plus the need for corporations like Subaru to show ever-increasing profits and sales by throwing away old vehicles for essentially no reason other than they can't be fixed due to lack of replacement parts, or lack of information to economically repair them..... all in the name of profit. The "environment" would be better served by Reducing and Reusing (the two R's most people forget about) than by creating more plastic things that in reality can't be Recycled anyway. 

GD

• Like 2

Yeah, I get the HUMVEE reasoning, just prefer my cars have actual visibility, other than 'virtual' visibility (yes, my wife's car has a backup camera that I like,..... BECAUSE there is very poor rear visibility!)

I think CA and Norway are Tesla's biggest markets so, that's why I mentioned them.

They say 'never say never' but at my age, it is quite likely I will not own a full EV over-the-road vehicle. A little electric golf cart or similar I could maybe see owning, depending on my neighborhood's ordinances, but not a real car. And I really don't care for supporting subsidies.

Oh I have several electric bicycles. Exceptionally fun things. Also not a problem to work on them as they are generally composed of generic interchangeable parts - batteries are just a stack of 18650 cells - few electronics and easily interchangeable without any VIN coding, etc. Pretty much free to do whatever you feel like on them still. Like cars and electronics used to be (and still should be). 

I fully acknowledge the superiority of electric motors and PWM three phase drives. Worked on them extensively in the commercial sector. 

I just don't at all approve of the current state of the consumer automobile industry. The focus is on profit, product obsolescence, and preventing independent repair and maintenance. They can take all that and shove it where the sun don't shine. 

GD

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

just don't at all approve of the current state of the consumer automobile industry. The focus is on profit, product obsolescence, and preventing independent repair and maintenance. They can take all that and shove it where the sun don't shine. 

You mean all 7 billion people can't consume and throw away cheap new cars every 4 years, appliances, toys, house wares, decorations, like consumeristic Americans with a zero carbon foot print?  You have no faith.  HAHAHHAA!!!