Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have 2008 Outback LL Bean with auto climate control and recently, it stopped blowing any heat on the driver's side. I figured a clogged heater core was to blame, but before I dove into a flush, I decided to also check the actuators in the dash and see if they were working.

I found that the driver's side actuator (72131AG27A) does not move when the hvac system is run through the positions and heat setttings. The passenger's side actuators, (three of them!) visibly move through the same hvac cycles.

Figuring the driver's side actuator must be dead and stuck in the cold position, I've tried ordering the part, but have a hard time finding it. As of today, it's discontinued if I call a dealership. Some sites list it, but they cancel the order when they can't find it. Does anyone know if it's possible to repair a non responsive actuator? Is there another place to search for hard to find Subaru parts? Can I manually bypass the actuator to get heat? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Brainpilot

Since it seems that you have already contorted yourself to see behind the hvac control panel, I will just add my experience in the hopes that it might be something simple.

My 08 OB has the speed and selector dial. Apparently, I may have been heavy handed in operating it or just plain unlucky at some point after which it stopped working. Twisted my aging 6'4" frame under the steering wheel and saw that the lever intended to operate an actuator had been displaced. Fiddled with it (using controlled force) until I reattached it and all was well in HVAC Land.

Hope you are as lucky.

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 4:59 PM, brus brother said:

Since it seems that you have already contorted yourself to see behind the hvac control panel, I will just add my experience in the hopes that it might be something simple.

My 08 OB has the speed and selector dial. Apparently, I may have been heavy handed in operating it or just plain unlucky at some point after which it stopped working. Twisted my aging 6'4" frame under the steering wheel and saw that the lever intended to operate an actuator had been displaced. Fiddled with it (using controlled force) until I reattached it and all was well in HVAC Land.

Hope you are as lucky.

I'm 6'3" and no, it is not fun to twist under there. This one is a dual zone system with electronic actuators. I didn't see any cables, but I'll have to check again, thanks. I've at least got it figured out how to twist and point the flashlight!