Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy 2.2 Auto - CEL 1507?

Friend's Daughter living on her own sent a text the other day.  Car dies.  Did it several times.  I told her to come on over.  

Well it took way to long.  Turns out it died several time, started smoking.  I asked what the temp gauge was showing.  I got a pic of it pegged.  

I eneded up going down the road with coolant.  I filled the system, it took almost a gallon.  No leaks noted.  We drove it the last mile to my place.  I pulled the codes:

P0325 - Knock Sensor.  I tried several of my used ones but code keep on coming back.  Ordered a new one.

P0116 - Coolant Temp Sensor - lack of coolant I suspect

P0420 - CAT Effiency - Car has 212K on it so it's not much of a worry.  I reset these all the time.

P1507 - Idle Air Control.  I cleaned the valve, the seal ring looks good.  Also added fuel system cleaner.  

The P1507 came back, I've checked the vacuum lines and connections.  They look good.  Any thoughts?

17 hours ago, lmdew said:

P0116 - Coolant Temp Sensor - lack of coolant I suspect

That doesn't strike me as a good interpretation.  Lack of coolant will result in a bad reading, but it shouldn't cause the ECU to see the transducer itself as bad.  I would think that error would result from resistance (this is just a thermistor, right?) out of range i.e. open or shorted.  Again, though, if it sees it as open it could be because there's a wiring defect, maybe the ground I suggested earlier.

1507.  Did you blow out all ports in the throttle body leading into/out of it too?

Doubt you need it but I had some 99 Phase II IACs that are yours if you want me to look.

Sounds like you did but if someone else ever read this. If it stalls, all those codes could be meaningless. Reset and check again, more than once if needed, to see which code comes back first.  

My guess is the momentary loss of consistent power at shut down makes for dirty signals and falsely triggers codes