Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 to Ej22 Swap Questions

• ontherun987 changed the title to Ea82 to Ej22 Swap Questions

Start with 2 running cars if it's for first swap. Photo/video everything and write down everything.

What I have always done for any swap is get the ECU/wiring out of the donor car, label/document all the connectors, and with any wire cut, label both sides!

Then when the ECU and wiring out of the donor car. Plug it back into the engine and get it running. If it doesn't work you can go though anything you cut and have both sides. You can hook it all back up until it fixes the issue.

Then with everything hooked up in the recipient car get all your measurements and wiring labeled while it's still running and you can test things. Don't do anything to the wiring in the car yet.

Do the mechanical transplant next. Get it all in, plumbed and read to run. Then get it running with the unmodified hardness from the donor. It should work the same as when it was in the other car. Fix any wiring/fuel issues first so it runs fine.

THEN pull the wiring out of the recipient car and merge the hardness.

By doing it in stages and keeping it running at each stage you can reduce the possible issues to troubleshoot.

• Thanks 1

A lot of variables. Be more specific with your questions, and you will get more specific answers.

All EJ engines share essentially the same basic dimensions. So they will all physically fit almost identically (with the exception of the last few years of the EJ253, 2010-2012 or so, where the motor mount configuration changed a bit). 2.2s were made 1990-2001.

So the difference comes in the electronics, which can be changed. But ASSuming you want to use the ECU and wiring from your donor car (cheapest option), the rule of thumb, is the older ones are simpler, and the newer ones are more complex. 1995 (for the 2.2) added OBDII, which makes them far more easy to diagnose, as any off the shelf code reader can connect to it. But much newer than that adds fuel tank sensors and stuff that will be hard to replicate/bypass in the new chassis, so you will likely always have trouble codes.

2 hours ago, Numbchux said:

A lot of variables. Be more specific with your questions, and you will get more specific answers.

All EJ engines share essentially the same basic dimensions. So they will all physically fit almost identically (with the exception of the last few years of the EJ253, 2010-2012 or so, where the motor mount configuration changed a bit). 2.2s were made 1990-2001.

So the difference comes in the electronics, which can be changed. But ASSuming you want to use the ECU and wiring from your donor car (cheapest option), the rule of thumb, is the older ones are simpler, and the newer ones are more complex. 1995 (for the 2.2) added OBDII, which makes them far more easy to diagnose, as any off the shelf code reader can connect to it. But much newer than that adds fuel tank sensors and stuff that will be hard to replicate/bypass in the new chassis, so you will likely always have trouble codes.

Sorry about the vagueness, I ended up buying a 1991 legacy. My dad needs the trans so I think I will have most of the swap right off. Is SJR still making the adapter plate for the trans?

12 hours ago, ontherun987 said:

Is SJR still making the adapter plate for the trans?

If he’s not, it’s not a difficult exercise to make your own with some plate, drill bits, some paint, and a jigsaw with some  metal cutting blades. 

The first step is to drill the two holes for the lower studs. These are the reference points that don’t change between the two items being adapted together. Fit the plate to the engine and get an outside line, mark the upper holes for the engine. Fit the plate to the gearbox (will need to drill/cut a hole for the gearbox input shaft to pass through), mark the inside of the gearbox bellhousing (can paint the mating face of the gearbox, push the adaptor plate onto this with the lower holes lined up, everything will be marked for you - same trick will work on the engine too, just do them on opposite sides!). 

Two ways to do the bolts, one that relies on the adaptor plate for strength (drill and tap holes), the other relies on two bolts being welded together and the plate slotted between the EJ and EA upper mount holes. Screw the welded bolts into the engine bellhousing, then fit the adaptor plate to the engine and you’re set to go. You’ll need to slot the crank bolts for the flywheel to mount too. 

That’s a quick run down, I’m sure there are other more detailed write ups on how to do this. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 7/23/2022 at 11:06 AM, ontherun987 said:

Sorry about the vagueness, I ended up buying a 1991 legacy. My dad needs the trans so I think I will have most of the swap right off. Is SJR still making the adapter plate for the trans?

I got my SJR adapter plate/flywheel combo about 2 years ago, and my wiring harness about 4 months ago. I'd assume he's still willing to fill orders. Neither job is terribly complicated, but I was happy to pay to make the process easier. I just finished about 90% of full EJ22 swap over on the retro fit forum. Good luck, it's not too bad if you take your time and plan ahead.

• Like 1