Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old paint protection film removal

So I bought a 3M rubber wheel gadget to attempt removing the old cracked clear bra from my car.

I have seen 3-4 videos and everyone seems to recommend a different solvent/cleaner to use to clean off adhesive residue.

Wondering who's done this or something similar and what did you use? I'm attracted to the suggestion of 90% Isopropyl alcohol if there's no downside but, will it really work?

with enough elbow grease, yes it does work..

The one that i like is Goof-off - BUT - try it in an inconspicuous area first to be sure it wont damage the paint... like in the spare tire well, maybe? also make sure you are well ventilated.. it does have a strong smell

I personally have not had any problems with it damaging paint, but always best to make sure. Goof-Off will cut thru sticky residue from just about anything. also works well fro removing tar splatters, and other icky things.

There is another called Goo-Gone, but that does not work nearly as well imho.

Yeah, all adhesives are different and you have to experiment a lot.  I used to love Freon TF for just about everything, but those days are long gone.

So the "inconspicuous area" rule rules.  Acetone, any citrus-based cleaner, isopropanol, and my new favourite, 95% ethanol - Everclear.  Now that the border's open again, I've been getting the 1.75 litre bottles duty-free for $20 - way cheaper than isopropyl, and you can drink it!

Probably too small and tedious of a procedure for a bra and a curved surface but I’d look into heat and razor. There’s a few options: Prolonged direct sunlight, heat gun, plastic razors or metal razors. I’ve had some adhesives peal off surprisingly easy (relative to how bad I thought it would be) with copious heat.

Getting the widget was not a loss. I am currently battling a 79 wagon that was tucked away in 1981 and for some reason put on jackstands in 89 and somewhere in that period the previous owner had taped the windows , etc and proceeded to primer grey paint half the car or so. There’s more but for now we are all concerned with tape residue or adhesive, same deal, which has been in for way too long. Granted my car is an extreme example. 

But I’ve had huge success with the razor. Much much much less success with various household type solutions etc. Brand G as well. Just didn’t cut it. 

Working on metal I also found that using some Noxon metal polish the previous owner left with some other cleaning items, worked really well too. 

Try the solutions but don’t toss that razor.