Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Swap - Will a XT6 5 Speed Transmission bolt to an EJ22

Hey everyone,

My original plan with my EA81 to EJ22 swap is to also swap the 4 speed single range transmission with a 5 speed dual range out of an EA82 Subaru. Unfortunately I have yet to find such a transmission but I was able to come across a 5 speed Full-Time 4WD transmission from an 1988 RX. Can anybody confirm if this will fit? I bought a kit to adapt an EJ22 with an EA series transmission including a redrilled fly wheel, clutch, pressure plate, and SJR custom made adapter, but I don't know if any of it would work with an RX transmission.  

28 minutes ago, SaltyMike said:

Hey everyone,

My original plan with my EA81 to EJ22 swap is to also swap the 4 speed single range transmission with a 5 speed dual range out of an EA82 Subaru. Unfortunately I have yet to find such a transmission but I was able to come across a 5 speed Full-Time 4WD transmission from an 1988 RX. Can anybody confirm if this will fit? I bought a kit to adapt an EJ22 with an EA series transmission including a redrilled fly wheel, clutch, pressure plate, and SJR custom made adapter, but I don't know if any of it would work with an RX transmission.  

EDIT: I just realized I put XT6 in the thread topic, my mistake. 

22 hours ago, idosubaru said:

EA82, RX, XT6 - all of them will work, they all interchange the same as far as bolting* to an EJ22. So you're good to go.

*with an adaptor plate - just to clarify. 

What steptoe is alluding to is to check the centre diff for blue discolouration or excessive wear. If either of these are present, walk away from this gearbox as it’s essentially toast - unless you have a spare centre diff or the ability to create a replacement unit (no one has done this!).   

Also this box will have the wider turbo ratios, probably not an issue with the EJ22, especially with 5-8psi of boost :headbang: 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thank you to everyone who helped me out here! Looks like I found the transmission for my swap :headbang:

I bought an adapter kit from a guy who was going to bolt an EJ to an EA transmission but decided to do a both an EJ engine and transmission instead. The kit includes the adapter plate/spacer, a redrilled flywheel, and a pressure plate and clutch for an EA82. Since the RX transmission is the same as any other manual transmission found with an EA82 I assume that all of these things will work. 

5 hours ago, SaltyMike said:

The kit includes the adapter plate/spacer, a redrilled flywheel, and a pressure plate and clutch for an EA82. Since the RX transmission is the same as any other manual transmission found with an EA82 I assume that all of these things will work. 

Correct. 

4 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Correct. 

Awesome, so I’ve got another question as long as I have you here:

I’ve read that if I’m using an EA82 clutch then I will also have to get a throw out bearing for an ‘85 Nissan 720 pickup. Is this correct?