Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any Strong Opinions On Duralast Brake Components?

Hello Everyone,

i don't usually buy parts from Autozone so I'm not terribly familiar with their products.  However, I ended up with $225 from a work bonus that can be spent at Autozone and a handful of other places (this was the only auto parts store available) and I have warped rotors on my 02 Impreza TS.  I am a spirited driver, but do not see the track.  Standard aggressive mountain driving is about as rough as things get.

What are your thoughts on Duralast Gold (the C-Max isn't available for this vehicle) pads and rotors for the front?  If you don't like them, what do you prefer?  I run PowerStop Z26/36 on my other vehicles and have had no issues on the off-roading rig or truck, but AutoZone charges a fortune for them compared to Summit Racing.

Cheers

20 minutes ago, heartless said:

Duralast is ok.. not great, but not terrible either..

honestly, I would go to RockAuto and get your preferred model there... they list powerstop about $31 per rotor

spend the extra funds on something else.

Rock Auto doesn't ship to Colorado 😔

• Confused 1

I only run Duralast pads on my vehicles. They have a lifetime warranty (including wear), so you never have to buy them again. Golds come with hardware, so that's usually my preference.

The Gold rotors are ok, but I've had a couple sets, and the coating that they come with flakes off super easy, and I wasn't terribly impressed with how they held up. They're not bad, but I don't think they're worth the premium (OE rotors are cheaper, in some applications). Most standard Duralast rotors have a coated hat now, anyway.

• Like 1

can you get Centric? good stuff.

try not to sit at a RR xing or long stop light with the pads clamped to already hot brakes. 'warping' is almost always uneven pad material deposition caused by that. Do a cool-down run after aggressive braking - or use the handbrake to hold the car stopped if the discs are hot.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjryoKzvNb7AhWUnWoFHXLUBfIQFnoECBgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcentricparts.com%2Fgetmedia%2Fbd69395a-b65c-481d-93f7-b26b1bd0638d%2FCentric_and_APC_Technical_Whitepaper_B1-Warped-Brake-Disc-8-2018_1.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2Syl_CnageQ47I6fsJZy3W

2 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

can you get Centric? good stuff.

try not to sit at a RR xing or long stop light with the pads clamped to already hot brakes. 'warping' is almost always uneven pad material deposition caused by that. Do a cool-down run after aggressive braking - or use the handbrake to hold the car stopped if the discs are hot.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjryoKzvNb7AhWUnWoFHXLUBfIQFnoECBgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcentricparts.com%2Fgetmedia%2Fbd69395a-b65c-481d-93f7-b26b1bd0638d%2FCentric_and_APC_Technical_Whitepaper_B1-Warped-Brake-Disc-8-2018_1.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2Syl_CnageQ47I6fsJZy3W

It's a manual so I usually just sit there unless it's a hill.  The issue with these stems from an old set of pads several years ago. I just replaced the pads and didn't do anything with the rotors. Funds were tight and I needed brakes. Obviously the new pads didn't match the rotors and they warped. I can now afford to do it right so I am. I was just curious about Duralast. I'll likely go with centric, EBC, HawkPerformance, Power Stop, or Aekbono.

• Like 1

check out some videos about new pad and rotor bedding if you've never done it before.

when changing the pads, pull out all the slide pins and discard the plastic bushings on them.  reassemble with synthetic brake grease if possible

3 hours ago, nvu said:

check out some videos about new pad and rotor bedding if you've never done it before.

when changing the pads, pull out all the slide pins and discard the plastic bushings on them.  reassemble with synthetic brake grease if possible

I've bed the last 5 sets I've put on.  This car has been neglected for a while and is now getting the proper attention.  Thanks for the pointer though, I fell like that part of brake work is left out a lot.