Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fresh rebuild, won't start, what to test?

check also the big hose from the IACV to the intake.

hmmm....I must be confused....but, if the car IS equipped with an Idle Air Control Valve, it won't idle, or will stall at low rpms if the hose (about the diameter of your thumb) , is missing or loose.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Y'all were right: it was the timing. When I got everything off the front of the engine, I could see that both cams were advanced about half dozen teeth relative to the crank. I have no idea how I did that. When we put it together the first time, we got the lines on the belt on the marks on the sprockets, and stood back and admired it, and looked twice...and somehow we got it wrong.

So, we reinstalled the belt, and got the lines on the belt on the marks on the sprockets, and looked twice, and somehow we got it right, because this time it started right up.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This sounds way too familiar, I've had a freshly rebuilt 98 sohc skip 6 teeth on the first test drive.  It fired up and idles perfect the first two days as I was putting the rest of the car back together.  Then on the first test drive, gave it the beans and it was barely idling.  Reset the belt the following week and it never skipped again, it's been 5 years now no belt issues.