Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have mounted a 1995 subaru outback alternator to a 1987 bmw and im trying to figure out how to get the battery light to function on the bmw. what does the subaru alternator put out to make the battery light come on when charging stops? how exactly does that bulb circuit work on a 1995 outback? i currently have it installed and functioning as it charges the battery but the bulb on the dash never lights.

4 hours ago, sirtokesalot said:

i have mounted a 1995 subaru outback alternator to a 1987 bmw and im trying to figure out how to get the battery light to function on the bmw. what does the subaru alternator put out to make the battery light come on when charging stops? how exactly does that bulb circuit work on a 1995 outback? i currently have it installed and functioning as it charges the battery but the bulb on the dash never lights.

Have you tested and noted what you are getting out of all the wires while running, then pull the drive belt to see what differs?

• Like 1

From my hazy understanding the Subarus have their alternator (battery) light wired in to the positive side of the instrument cluster. I believe the alternator wire for the light is negative when the alternator isn’t spinning. 

Once the alternator is spinning and putting out positive voltage both sides of the alternator light are positive and thus the light goes out. 

That’s what I believe happens but I could be wrong. Someone explained it to me years ago… 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...

sorry i disappeared. the bmw developed a new issue and havent managed to get parts to fix it yet so its been parked again. the batt bulb on the bmw does work. it lights up with key on and goes out with key off but i know if u unhook the plug on the alternator it stops charging and the light does not come on. it is difficult to get to the alternator plugs on the bmw with the air box installed and it has the old school air flow meter in the airbox so it wont run without it installed. i would up just installing a volt gauge in the dash to monitor charging but id like to make the idiot light function at some point because the water pump is driven by the alternator belt as well and would like any warnings i could to notify me of overheating possibility's.