Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Outback - What to Check? - Running Rough after Engine Swap

Happy Labor Day!

Edit: Fixed with a new Crankshaft Sprocket - see pics of damaged one below. 

What I'm working on this time:

-2005 Outback, Automatic,  base 2.5i model with EJ253, 180K - This is the MAF-based, non i-AVLS  version.  This is the newest Subaru I've worked on. 

-I bought it 2 weeks ago with a broken timing belt tensioner -the mounting bolt sheared off and very likely damaged pistons and/or valves. Shop had removed the timing covers and found the broken bolt. Owner said -'$pend no more' - and put it on CL. So, I never drove it or heard it run.

-Replacement engine is a 2004 EJ251 (VIN confirmed from block stamping) - unknown miles and condition. Long-block only. 

- Both are EGR; '05 heads stamped Z25; '04 stamped L25.

-Moved both Cam sprockets / Gears, Crank Sprocket,  Intake Manifold, knock sensor, engine mounts, etc. to the EJ251 (did NOT move the cam or crank sensor - per online Subaru parts they are the same p/n). Installed a brand new T-Belt (Evergreen?? belt) - with Aisin Water Pump  and GMB pulleys and tensioner (ebait Mizumo kit). Everything bolted up w/out issue. Brand new battery. New NGK plugs. Fresh oil and filter, and coolant. 

-The only 'surprise' to me was the newer style Crank Sprocket. I had to double-check online what alignment mark to use. But I'm 99% sure I got it and the Cams aligned correctly. I've done ~10 T-Belts  on EJ-series SOHC and  DOHC versions w/out a problem. 

- Used this for reference:

sprocket-jpg.547627

- First Start: Starts up but runs really rough and smokes out exhaust. Did not hear any engine knock. I let it run  about 30 seconds.  Cruise light is flashing. turn if off and checking with OBD2 scanner Shows No Codes. Try it a 2nd time and same issue and no codes. 

- What would you Gurus check first? If I did mess up the Tbelt install, wouldn't I get a Cam, Crank or Misfire code? 

Thanks for any Responses!

Edited by wtdash

1 hour ago, wtdash said:

- What would you Gurus check first? If I did mess up the Tbelt install, wouldn't I get a Cam, Crank or Misfire code? 

Is the EJ251 like the old EJ22 sohc with only a single cam sensor?  If so, I've had an EJ22 skip many teeth on the non-sensor side and not throw any code.  Engine ran really rough on idle.

The flashing cruise is an immediate misfire signal and doesn't set any code.

I'd check timing again with just two covers removed.  

^Yes, single cam sensor on drivers side. Unfortunately, this has one 3/4 cover on the passenger side  and one on the driver's side. So, the everything on the front has to come off to see timing. 

If flashing cruise is my 'clue' to a misfire then I'll check timing and go from there.

Thanks

Edited by wtdash

Pics of Tbelt install. Look esp. at the Crank Sprocket 'teeth' - where they're near the Crank Sensor. I didn't look that close when I installed it, but now wondering if they're damaged and/or missing their 'triggers'? When the tensioner let go, it could have damaged the sprocket too?

mrIRgsn.jpg

TAlDHpe.jpg

fM0ABno.jpg

PENYY8c.jpg

0wKHBc7.jpg

Could the tensioner have bent the crank sprocket guard into the timing teeth when it failed, damaging the points of that sprocket?

The crank belt guard that bolts on above the sprocket is what I mean. If it was left out when the shop put things back you may have never seen it to know(?)

Looks to me like the gap to the crank sensor is too large.

Edited by czny

I've never seen a solid sprocket like that before.  All the subaru ones of that era look like the one in the first post you made.  Clearance should be about 1-2 business card between sprocket and sensor.

You timing looks good enough though.

• Like 1

I’d swap out that crank timing gear for a replacement where the teeth haven’t been damaged. That won’t be doing you any favours!

I thought all EJ253 had that valve timing gear on it otherwise it was just a 251? 

The other unknown is the long block itself. Why was the vehicle sent off to be wrecked? 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

^2005 was an odd year of the EJ253 (like the '99) as it was MAF-based (not MAP-based like the EJ251) but didn't have the i-AVLS (Active Valve Lift System). I don't know the history of the donor engine. I bought it from a mechanic that got it from a friend, etc. 

New Crankshaft Sprocket = Running Well!

Thanks for the Assistance!

Edited by wtdash
  • Like 2