Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Legacy wagon big oil leak

This car has an automatic transmission and 216,000 miles on the odometer.

Just recently I started getting a strong smell of burning oil. Today I popped open the hood and smoke was coming up from the rear of the engine near the fire wall.

Does this kind of leak require one to pull the engine? I'm starting to look around for a younger Subaru.

Depends on where it's coming from. Camshaft plug (distributor block-off plate)? No. Separator plate or rear main seal? Yes. 

Honestly those engines are ultra simple. I can have the engine out with a cherry picker in about 45 minutes. 

Wouldn't look for a younger Subaru unless it's rusted out. Those were about the peak of everything that was good about the brand. I'll stretch that maybe up through about 2004 but the EJ22 in that '95 was a better engine. And the 4EAT auto is really a tough unit if at all cared for. 

GD

• Like 2

Most likely the rear separator plate.  It's easy once you have the engine out.  Unless there is clear damage to the rear main, leave it alone.  The separator plate, clean reseal and locktite the screws.  You should have the aluminum separator plate.

• Like 1

Keep the car and fix the leak
95 is a great year - i loved the one i had

engine is pretty simple to pull, just make sure you unplug the wiring so nothing gets damaged - if you have successfully done timing, you can do this

as lmdew said, a large leak like that is most likely the oil separator plate on the back of the block - common leak zone

I would NOT touch the rear main seal unless it was obviously damaged - rear main is very rarely the problem, and dont be fooled by oil spread all over back there... the separator plate is the most common leak point.. oil comes out of there, gets on the flywheel and gets splattered all over the place.

i cant remember - does 95 have a plastic or metal plate?
if it is plastic, you will want to replace it with a metal one, which will also mean replacing the screws as they will be a different length. Rock Auto has them, some including the screws..
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,1995,legacy,2.2l+h4,1269806,engine,oil+separator+cover,18583

that and some anaerobic sealer and you will be good to go.

Edited by heartless

Verify where it's leaking first.  Gravity, air, and design persuade many leaks to end up in the same lower rear area. Rear can be multiple things.  

Is there fluid every where like its pouring out, or just a little bit dripping? 

Drivers or passengers side? 

Very common oil leak sources that can end up smoking around the back of the engine and leak a lot:

Check the valve covers - they can leak a lot at the lower rear corners. 
Check under the timing belt cover and make sure it's not dripping there and blowing back on the exhaust while driving. 
Check the plug/cap on the back of the engine - they can leak as well. 

yeah the covers are a major source of leaks - new seals on those and call it good - they arent terribly expensive.

i generally do oil seals up front when doing timing - so i dont usually have an issue there

oil pressure sending unit on top (kinda below & slightly left of the alt as looking at it from the front) is another one that can leak like a sieve when they go bad, but it would be pretty obvious if you look on top for oil

The oil leak is so bad I had to add 1-2 quarts today after only 30-40 miles. Yesterday I put in at least 2 quarts as well.  I bought another car for my wife today and now I'll drive the 98 Forester with 325,000 miles. I'll park the oil gusher until Spring or Summer before I investigate the oil leak. I'm guessing I'll have to pull the engine out.