Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help - need to remove outer cv from front axle - XT6 stranded

I need to remove the outer cv joint off a front axle. It doesn’t ever need to be reinstalled on an axle shaft again

I did this years ago but recall it being brutal bashing them off. I’m fine doing that again but is there a trick?

xt6 with EJ axles has a bad axle and I limped it to a gas station. I want to get a ride there, remove the bad axle and install this outer cv cup, without an axle shaft, into the hub just to hold the bearings together. then I can lock the diff and drive home in 3 wheel drive  

I did not capitalize all the letters in the title but it’s showing that way? Weird. 

Edited by idosubaru

With the axle out, I put it on a 2x4 and step on the axle shaft.  With the boot pulled back or cut off, I put another 2x4 against the outer CV and hit the 2x4 with a BFH.

Some of them have a snap ring instead of the circle clip.  For those, you have to rotate the inner rack so you can remove one ball bearing at a time.  Once all of them are out, you can pull the shaft back and remove the snap ring and inner race.

• Thanks 1

i find a table, bench, any flat corner with a L and taller than the entire axle.  hold axle vertically into the corner with outer cv facing up;  slam it down hard so the outer cv catches in the corner L.  it's like a reverse slide hammer, mind your toes.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lmdew said:

Some of them have a snap ring instead of the circle clip.  For those, you have to rotate the inner rack so you can remove one ball bearing at a time.  

Is it obvious which is which? What do i look for?

All of mine are prob 95-05 axles and a couple XT6

I did the BFH years ago but they were rear axles. 

Thanks

Sorry, axle shaft has the circle clip which is spring loaded.  Once the axle shaft is out, you can rotate the inner race to remove all the bearings and disassemble the outter joint.

The Inner CV Joint has the snap ring on the axle.  The joint slides apart once you have removed the circle clip at the rear of the CV joint, just inside the boot.

13 hours ago, idosubaru said:

3 wheel drive

Hahaha… you mean 2wd unless you have a locked front diff you’re not telling us about! 

The open front diff won’t do anything for power to the ground! 

RWD drift pig here we come!! :P 

Cheers 

Bennie

This has stuck with me through the years. I haven't tried it, but it makes sense to get nice square force on the inner race. I broke one apart at a camp site once, and it took forever to do with just a hammer and socket extension.

16 hours ago, lmdew said:

with a BFH.

That got it only two swings, so I have this joint and spare axle, giving multiple options once I get a ride to the car. 

First blow on outer joint rim, second blow onto inner cage/race and couldn't believe it popped right off. 

Some threads mention doing this to replace the outer boot without removing the axle - but I don't see how it wouldn't just yank the axle and stub right out of the trans or hurt an MT doing that.

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1