Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy Wagon , NOT Outback ! Cruise is dead ! ?

So I have a 2005 Legacy Wagon , NOT Outback ! With 216 K miles on it .
And of course the CEL is on for bank 1 insuffient catalyst ! Well that's old news , my car is 15 years + old in my state CEL doesn't matter anymore ! But anyhow I used to clear the codes on occasion and be able to use my Cruise Control and of course when the CEL came back on in 50 miles or less. I'de lose it ! Well now when I do that and hit the button to turn on the cruise ..... nothing happens ! And of course when the CEL is on the Cruise is flashing green . So there are no fuses for the cruise . How about a relay ? Any guesses to what the problem is ?

My 2005 Impreza takes a few seconds for the cruise to stop flashing after I clear the code.  If you have a reader that will clear the code, it's pretty easy to keep the cruise working when you like.  Best to eliminate the problem, but clearing the code should restore the cruise for a bit anyway.

I have a code reader . I used to be able to clear the code and use the cruise control . It doesn't do that anymore . But when the CEL comes back on the CC flashes green again . So I guess the light still works. Just not when you actually want to use CC after clear CEL ! 

• 3 weeks later...

It's possible the problem is far enough out that it set a permanent code and now the computer has fully disabled the cruise control, as it fails before startup due to this permanent code.

Now what I mean by permanent, is it's in a different memory point in the ECU, so it may not be wiped by your code reader. If you have the ability to check your "permanent" or "memory" codes, you may be able to wipe it and get your cruise back.

Twitch

• Like 1