Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I have a 2001 Subaru Outback with the 2.5 L engine, and have noticed a burning odor especially when I stop or idle. I think it may be caused by grease dripping from a linkage above the exaust manifold, but am trying to find out if this is correct. Any input you might have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

The previous model of Legacy with the Phase I engine was notorious for leaking oil from the crank and cam oil seals. This leak would end up on the exhaust and cause a burning smell.

The second source of oil leaks were the valve cover gaskets which would, you guessed it, deposit some oil on the exhaust.

I don't know if the Phase II engine (which you have) is prone to the same misbehavior or not but it's easy to check. Go under the front of the car and look at the crank pulley. If the bottom lip of the timing cover is oily, you've probably got leaking seals.

From above, reach in around the cylinder heads and run your finger along the valve cover gasket on the underside. If it comes away oily, you may have a leak there. If so, try tightening the bolts up first; chances are you'll need to replace the gaskets anyway.

Regards,

Adnan

Hello,

I have a 2001 Subaru Outback with the 2.5 L engine, and have noticed a burning odor especially when I stop or idle. I think it may be caused by grease dripping from a linkage above the exaust manifold, but am trying to find out if this is correct. Any input you might have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

I have a 99 Forester with the same problem. It is more than likely that you have a leaking crank or cam seal. A relativley small amount of oil is leaking form the seal and dripping on an exhaust system component. This is a problem commonly associated with Subaru engines. Leaking oil has been known to cause the timing belt to fail prematurely.

peek under the car. that's the only way to know.

can be so many different things.

cam seal, main seal or simply a bad doj (axle) seal.

but it's definately going to be oil of some kind burning off on your exhaust

which is why you smell it at a stop....

cheers

Jamie

Hello,

Thanks,

Dave

Uncle Dave,

I posted a new thread 'Burning Oil and the Dealership' before finding this one. I've attached a digi pix I took underneath the car. Some additional info from the respondants that may help.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21151

Amphibo

• 2 years later...

If the smell is really stinky, as distinguished from the normal burning oil smell, I vote for the cv axle seal. Its right by the converter and seems to go earlier than it should. Just did mine, and it takes a while for the grease to finally burn off the converter.

Does it seem like front CV boots fail more quickly than rear ones?

Yes, but for differnt reasons. Rear boots have a very shelterd life. They really dont do much, as the rear wheels dont steer the car. They only have to flex for suspension travel (which is minimal), are in a cool place, ans in the rear away from all the debree. There is very little chance of them getting oil on themselves also.

nipper

I have had the same odor around my 02 outback ( 04 engine ) turns out it is a head gasket on the pass. side. I had done the drvr side one about a year ago now I have noticed a considerable amount of oil around the one on the passenger side. I have also noticed that the odor is only there mostly when it is cold 5 degrees celsius and below . Must be expansion and contraction of the head?. Anyway I am just going to drive it till it dies - My car is on its second motor only 5 years old 80000 miles first motor was so loud the dealer had to change it to sell it ( major slap ):mad:

Subiegal is SPOT ON. No way to tell other than lifting the car up and looking and even then it can be a guess.

Likely candidates on any ej engine, some may not apply to your model:

Rear cam seal (PITA on ej22 Turbo)

Plastic breather plate warped on the back of the engine. These came and went and came back repeatedly for some odd reason. There are now 3 versions of the breather plate out there. Plastic, aluminum and now steel (chrome in appearance!)

Cam seals on the front/crank seal/oil pump leaking.

Power steering pump or rack leaking

CV Boot(s) torn

Transmission output shaft seals leaking (not real likely)

Incorrect crush washer used/re-used when changing oil

Incorrect or loose oil filter

• 5 months later...
Hello,

Thanks,

Dave

No one seems to have mentioned that the most common reason for burning (oil/grease) smell is broken front inboard passenger side CV boot, spewing grease at speed directly onto the catalytic convertor. This boot is usually the first ot fail due to close proximity to high heat source (cat).

Note: burning grease smells "hot" (especially moly cv grease). Burning oil smells "oily".

Also, distinctions shoud be made between front and rear main (crank) seals. Rear seals never (hardly ever) leak. Fronts leak but do not drip on exhaust.

If there is an apparent oil leak at the junction of engine/bellhousing, it may be the "plastic separator plate" issue. See my other threads for fix.

• Like 1

Also, distinctions shoud be made between front and rear main (crank) seals. Rear seals never (hardly ever) leak. Fronts leak but do not drip on exhaust.

If there is an apparent oil leak at the junction of engine/bellhousing, it may be the "plastic separator plate" issue. See my other threads for fix.

Front seal if it is leaking bad enough can get an oil mist sprayed on the exhaust system ( I speak from experience) and give you a choking smoke inside the car when stopped.

nipper