Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do I need "help"?

WJM

I like the GL-10 better than the RS. :confused:

i was really excited to get the RS....then i drove it home...and i had to put rear brakes on it and replace the left rear wheel bearing and one of the lateral links is bent ever so slightly (granted the dealer did give me $200 to cover the wheel bearing and the brakes)...its got some kind of PIAA non-stock stlye fog lights that shine some ugly yellowish color and are not mounted very solidly, and the brake pedal is pretty mushy as compared to the Wagon...and belive it or not, the struts on the wagon is in better shape than the RS (granted the Wagon has new GR2's front and slightly used Carerra dampers onthe rear)...and i swear the wagon stops quicker. I flogged on the RS last night and this morning...i was suprised that it did handle almost as good as the wagon, certinly the steering response is better, but it takes way more effort to turn the RS than the wagon. (due to higher ratio but same PS pump outputs??) Certinly the sound system is better as well. A/C between both are the same really.

I guess the whole "i just bought a 4 year old SUBARU and i already gotta do some major'ish work on it" killed the excitement. its also due for a timing belt in 10k miles.

Maybe im just a whinAr, but im not really "into" this car...in less into it than that 2WD 3AT beat up interior is crap DL i had. :confused:

Well...i did get it for 6100...so I cant complain. With the T-belt replaced, and the exhaust its got on it...and the other stuff fixed now, I could get what it would go for....$8k, if i decide to sell it.

Maybe I need some serious psychiatric help because I like my GL-10 better.

Maybe...im just some crazy old skoo kid addicted to the kooky old things that no one makes parts for.

/venting due to mood=not good.

the brake pedal is pretty mushy as compared to the Wagon

Probably due to the dual-stage boosters that the later cars (including the Impreza 2.5RSes) use. Braided lines and upgraded fluid helps, but the real "fix" is a single-stage booster. Personally, I just got used to the feel of it and I'm fine with it now.

but it takes way more effort to turn the RS than the wagon

You mean that the steering feels heavier or what? Heavier is a good thing...I hate cars that have too much power steering and thus have a light feel to the steering. Also, don't forget that the car is actually heavier after all (about 200 lbs heavier in stock vs stock trim).

Just wait'll you take my Street Mod 2.5RS for a spin at the 24-hour...we'll see what you think of 2.5RS handling then! ;)

Just wait'll you take my Street Mod 2.5RS for a spin at the 24-hour...we'll see what you think of 2.5RS handling then! ;)

Oh I know the handling stock vs stock is way el better-o...and your RS is quite fast....

I do know that If the GL-10 is not done....i seriously doubt I'll be there. :(

Boy, I'm just the opposite, I doubt that I'll ever get another EA82 series car, turbo'd or not. We still have a turbo wagon, but we are thinking of replacing it with an EJ series wagon. I will admit, my GC8 conversion is not a normal Impreza, but it is as different as night and day when compared to my old 86 GL-10 Turbo Sedan.

No help needed, I felt the same way right after I got my Forester...I dumped the Forester in April for a VW Beetle, and I'll be getting an RX in a couple of weeks. I feel much better now, too.

The GL-10 I had is going through a restoration, by the way...I decided it was worth it. I'm hopefully going to end up with a GL-10 turbowagon and an XT Turbo, and the Beetle. Everything else is going to be sold/scrapped/parted (except for the "classics").