Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do "Legacy"s Bend Valves When Timing Belt breaks?

Checking into a 92 Legacy that sounds like it has a timing belt issue... don't know which engine at the moment. Do the EJ-series engines have an "interference"-style head (valve/piston contact if belt breaks)? I am (very!!!) familiar the EA82T engines (which don't bend valves), but not the EJs.

Anybody know? Thanks in advance.

Pat

The EJ22 up to 1996 was a Non-interference engine. Part way thru the 1996 model year they modified the heads and did away with the hydraulic lash adjusters replacing them with solid rocker arms requiring check/adj at 105K.

All 2.5's, ALL DOHC and ALL USA spec engines since 1997 ARE interference engines.

I have a Subaru PDF history on the EJ from 1990 to 2003 and it's evolution. My 1990 Legacy LS snapped a belt at 98K (was replaced at 60K). Cause was seized water pump. (Early learning experience to replace pump at belt time). In any case, I had it flatbedded home and replaced pump and belt. No internal damage. My current 2004 Forester would not be so fortunate.

Thanks for all of the input! Far easier than my tried-and-true method of banging my head until I reinvent the wheel.

Since I found USMB, I have gleaned a lot of info from you guys/gals. It is amazing how much knowledge is floating around. (However, in general, posts about detonation/IG-timing and thermostats tend to be just voodoo!)

Ta Ta For Now!!!

Forgive me.....My reference was to the Subaru 4 cylinders only......

I can not give any advice on the Subaru 6 cylinders.....absolutely no experience.

Chevy L6 and V6, Mopar Slant6 and V6, Ford L6 and V6, Toyota L6 and V6.....YES....

Subaru Flat 6...Nope!

I don't know how I got so lucky when I broke the timming belt on my 97 2.5 last week. But no internal damages are showing. Anyways the car seems to run right. Will find out 100% for sure when the head gasket is replaced this comming up week.

if theres no damage you should go and buy a lottery ticket its nearly 100% garanteed to do damage if they break on anything except the 2.2Lt engine :eek:

So in reference to the eg33 engine a la svx are they the same as the ej22's? non interference?

regard camo

<<All 2.5's, ALL DOHC and ALL USA spec engines since 1997 ARE interference engines. >>

nope. the 97 EG33 isn't interference.

Not so fast. All DOHC Subaru engines are valve-valve interference. Period. If one cam spins while the other is stationary, the valves will hit each other.

Now, the EG33 is the only DOHC Subaru engine that has one set of cams driven by a belt, and the other cams gear-driven off the first set of cams. So, the gears on the camshaft would have to break, highly unlikely. But if they did, you would indeed have valves hitting valves.

• 6 years later...

Is the 2000 outback SOHC #6 VIN in the same non-interference category?? The #2 idle sprocket for timing failed on this motor, (the car began to overheat slightly, nothing crazy, then suddenly the car shut off!!) It sat forever till I could get at it.. Anyways tore into it a few days ago and got to the timing belt, noticed the timing marks were not lined up. The belt jumped around?? Can I hand turn the cams to the marks before installing new timing belt??