Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do you think of this color? (for the 78)

Nice rebuild! I'd go with the darker metallic blue. Are you going to paint the engine compartment the same color? What was the brown color in the usual rusted areas in the engine compartment? My guess would be some sort of rust inhibitor prior to primer? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my 79Dl wagon and rebuild the engine of course but I've got a lot of rust in the engine compt and lower body panels. wah.

Ya, the dark brown is some rust inhibitor paint I painted on and then sanded smooth before applying the regular sandable primer to the rest of the area.

I painted it the darker blue today... Its rather metallic, but the blue is much better. Any suggestions on if I should apply some sort of clear coat after the final layer of paint to protect it?

The thing about clear coat is it has to be high quality or it will be destroyed by UV rays and yellow/peel after a few years in the sun. I personally wouldn't trust clearcoat in a spray can for a nice car. I'd go with a proffesional clear and have it sprayed on. The results would be worth the money I think.

Well the front of the car is painted, im working on the fenders now... The front lip/bumper is also done. Here are the pics of the color, as you can see it is a much better color than the first really bright blue. I call this more of an R2 D2 blue :P (Im going to use that clear coat type finish, it worked well on the bumper/lip)

http://community.webshots.com/album/166896604vSrMWC/1

Yeah it does haul, haul enough for 5th place in truck/SUV class in last years Rallycross championship :grin: and that paintjob was done by the previous owner and was a singlestage and he botched up the last coat and made it look flat but oh well it's gettin stripped and repainted about the same color but with George Barris sized metal flake and also yellow markings in the same metal flake